A mathematical model for this simple problem?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a mathematical model for a problem involving fishes and fish-globes. The equations F=7G+1 and F=9(G-1) were discussed as possible solutions, and it was mentioned that the second equation may be clearer in the original language. The speaker also confirms that they can solve the equations to find the number of fishes and fish-globes.
Hamid1
Hi all.
I want a mathematical model for this problem:
"There is a few fishes and fish-globes.If we put 7 Fishes in each fish-globe then a single fish remains.
and If we put 9 Fishes in each fish-globe then a single-fish globe reamins empty.What's number of fishes and fish-globes?"

Thank you.(I hope my English sentences be correct!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Let G be the number of fish-globes and F the number of fish.
Can you write down two formulas that express the same as those sentences?

I guessed this:
F=7G+1
F=9G

But i think it's wrong;

The first one is correct.

Now that I read your second statement again, it is rather confusing... if we put 9 fish in each, there is one with none. I suppose it means: the number of fish is also equal to nine times the number of globes, except one. So instead of F = 9G, I would say the sentence means F = 9(G - 1).
But since you say "I hope my English sentences be correct!" I presume you have translated the sentences, and perhaps it is clearer in the original language?

In any case, suppose that you have
F = 7G + 1
F = 9(G - 1)
do you know how to solve these two equations for F and G?

Thank you CompuChip for the answer.
Yes, I can solve it.

1. What is a mathematical model?

A mathematical model is a simplified representation of a real-world problem or system using mathematical equations and symbols. It can help us better understand and analyze complex situations, make predictions, and make informed decisions.

2. How is a mathematical model created?

A mathematical model is created by identifying the key variables and relationships in a problem or system and expressing them in the form of mathematical equations. These equations can then be solved or simulated to generate solutions or predictions.

3. What are the advantages of using a mathematical model?

One advantage of using a mathematical model is that it allows us to study and test different scenarios without having to physically manipulate the real-world system. It also allows us to make predictions and analyze the effects of different variables on the system.

4. Are there any limitations to using a mathematical model?

Yes, there are limitations to using a mathematical model. Models are simplifications of real-world problems and may not accurately capture all aspects of a system. They also rely on assumptions and data, which may not always be accurate or complete. Therefore, the results of a model should always be interpreted with caution.

5. What are some examples of mathematical models?

Mathematical models can be found in various fields such as physics, economics, biology, and engineering. Some examples include the predator-prey model in ecology, the supply and demand model in economics, and the fluid dynamics model in physics.