Finding Automorphism Groups for D4 and D5

• Thread starter Kalinka35
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, the conversation discusses methods for finding automorphism groups, specifically for D4 and D5. The speaker mentions sending elements of the same order to each other and trying to find homomorphisms, but has not been successful. Another speaker suggests looking at inner automorphisms, which leads to a discussion about whether Aut(D4) is isomorphic to D4 itself. The conversation ends with a suggestion to show that the map from D4 to Aut(D4) is an injection and whether it is a surjection.
Kalinka35

Homework Statement

Is there a good method for finding automorphism groups? I am currently working on finding them for D4 and D5.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've only really looked hard at D4 and the only one I've found is the identity. I know you have to send element of the same order to each other and in D4 there's the identity, two elements of order 4 and the remaining 5 are of order 2. I've been trying to look at ways to send the elements of order 2 to each other and there are a lot of ways, but none of the ones I've done end up being homomorphisms. My gut instinct is that for both of these there is more than one automorphism, but maybe I'm wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at inner automorphisms. g->sgs^(-1). There is certainly more than the identity automorphism.

Ah, yes. Thanks. So it would appear that Aut(D4) is in fact isomorphic to D4 itself...

You have to do slightly more work than that.

First you must show that the map D_4 to Aut(D_4) sending g to the inner automorphism is an injection or not, which it need not be (there are no inner automorphisms of an Abelian group). Then you need to work out if it is a surjection or not. If you were to do the same for S_6, then there are famously automorphisms that are not inner.

1. What is an automorphism group?

An automorphism group is a mathematical concept in group theory that refers to a set of automorphisms, which are isomorphisms from a group to itself. In simpler terms, it is a group of symmetries that preserve the structure and operations of a given group.

2. Why is finding automorphism groups important?

Finding automorphism groups is important because it allows us to understand the structure and properties of a group better. It also helps us to identify the symmetries within a group, which can be useful in solving problems and making connections to other mathematical concepts.

3. How do you find automorphism groups?

The process of finding automorphism groups involves examining the elements and operations of a group, and determining which transformations preserve the group's structure. This can be done by considering the group's Cayley table, or by using group homomorphisms to map elements of the group to themselves.

4. Can every group have an automorphism group?

No, not every group has an automorphism group. For a group to have an automorphism group, it must have non-trivial symmetries, meaning that there must be at least one non-identity element that can be mapped to itself by a non-trivial automorphism.

5. What are some real-world applications of automorphism groups?

Automorphism groups have various applications in different fields such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. In physics, they are used to study the symmetries of physical systems, while in chemistry, they help to understand the symmetries of molecules. In computer science, automorphism groups are used in graph theory to study the symmetries of graphs, which has applications in network and data analysis.