XRD data: particle size, cell size etc

In summary, the peaks in an XRD pattern shift to the right as the sample is heated, and the intensities of the peaks decrease as the sample is heated. The width of the peaks also increases as the sample is heated.
Oxygenne
I use to do XRD from room temperature to High temperature and then cooling again at room temperature.
I see there is constant going to the right for all the peaks and also their intensities are decreasing, also the width of peaks is becoming larger.
I would like to interpret those data and also to calculate the particle size and the unit cell size (if there is a change with the temperature).
It seems the phase is not change only the garbages and the intensities values.
Could you help me to interpret those data or to guide to read something on the web to help me with this?
Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you drizzle!
On an Intensity vs. 2*theta plot of a powdered, crystalline sample how to calculate the miller indices?

I think to determine the miller indices of each peak [the surface where the diffraction occur] you would need to use GPDS cards or a handbook [it’s a catalogue that holds the analyzed XRD data of almost all structures and compounds, will maybe not all, it depends on the book]. it goes like this; in your XRD pattern you would see several peaks, each at a precise angle. say that your XRD pattern is of the material ZnO and the first peak is at 35 degrees, you then should look for ZnO in that data and find the matched angle thus the corresponding surface, you would find tables of different data, i.e.

XRD pattern for ZnO:

(hkl) 2θ relative intensity
100 35° 87.5
102 47° 63
etc

also it could be calculated.

I would like to calculate taking in account the data I have (Intensity vs. 2*theta plot)

I found a formula but there is included the unit cells parameters and I do not want to use that, because my goal is to find the unit cell parameter using the recorded data for each set of data.

* How to interpret the constant moving of my intensities to the right with each temperature step?

*How to interpret the constant decreasing in intensity of every peak with each temperature step?

Thank you!

Last edited:

1. What is XRD data and how is it collected?

XRD (X-ray diffraction) data is a type of analytical technique used to determine the structure and composition of materials. It works by exposing a sample to X-rays and measuring the resulting diffraction patterns. These patterns contain information about the arrangement of atoms in the sample, which can then be used to identify the material and its properties.

2. How can XRD data be used to determine particle size?

XRD data can be used to determine particle size by analyzing the diffraction peak broadening. The wider the peak, the smaller the particle size. This is because smaller particles have more surface area, leading to more diffraction events and a broader peak. Additionally, the intensity of the peak can also provide information about the particle size distribution.

3. Can XRD data be used to determine cell size in crystalline materials?

Yes, XRD data can be used to determine cell size in crystalline materials. By analyzing the diffraction patterns, the distance between planes of atoms can be calculated, which is known as the lattice parameter. This parameter is directly related to the cell size of a crystal and can provide valuable information about its structure and properties.

4. What are some factors that can affect XRD data and its interpretation?

Several factors can affect XRD data and its interpretation, including sample preparation, instrument calibration, and sample orientation. Contamination or impurities in the sample can also impact the accuracy of the data. Additionally, the presence of amorphous materials or preferred orientation of crystalline materials can affect the diffraction patterns and make interpretation more challenging.

5. Are there any limitations to using XRD data for particle size and cell size determination?

While XRD data can provide valuable information about particle size and cell size, there are some limitations to consider. XRD is not suitable for analyzing particles smaller than 1 micron, and it may not accurately measure particle size distributions if the sample contains a mixture of particle sizes. Additionally, for cell size determination, the crystal structure of the material must be known and the sample must be well-oriented to produce accurate results.