Driven Oscillation- Motion of a particle, with given equation.

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving the motion of a particle described by the equation x(t)= 25cm * cos 10t. The main question is determining the time at which the kinetic energy is twice the potential energy. There is some confusion with notations and units, but ultimately the discussion focuses on using energy considerations to solve the problem.
Self-Help

Homework Statement

Okay.. so I have tried to do this one but no luck.

Homework Equations

w= 2 * pi* v
1/2 kA^2= 1/2mv^2 + mgh

Alright so the question:

The motion of a particle is given by x(t)= 25cm* cos 10t
What time is the kinetic energy twice the potential energy?

Not sure how to use a x(t) equation to incorporate mgh which deals motion in the y direction.

Any guide would be appreciated.. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are probably just suffering from notational inconsistency/ambiguity. I suspect:

- The "v" in the equation for frequnecy is actually not a "v" at all, but rather Greek letter "nu". I.e., it is not velocity, but rather cyclic frequency. I would use "f" instead.

- The "x" and "y" directions are arbitrary. And so, while "y" is typically chosen to represent vertical position, "x" is just as well. In fact, you have "1/2 kA^2" and "mgh" in your energy equation, and "y" does not appear anywhere. I suspect: A=h=x in your equations.

- The equation of the motion of the particle has unitless time. I suspect that the "10" in the argument of the cosine should have some units.

BTW, why did you call this "Driven Oscillation"?

I just used the unit name, it's called Driven Oscillations and resonance.
Okay... hmm
so looking at it only with energy considerations... we have amplitude so we can do the equation:

1/2KA^2= 1/2 mv^2 + mv^2

... but mass shouldn't be included in the equation :S
so this is where I get stuck again!
lol ahhh

1. What is driven oscillation?

Driven oscillation, also known as forced oscillation, refers to the motion of a particle or system that is continuously driven by an external force. This force can be periodic or non-periodic, and can cause the particle to oscillate with a specific frequency, amplitude, and phase.

2. What is the equation for driven oscillation?

The equation for driven oscillation is typically written as:
m(d^2x/dt^2) + γ(dx/dt) + kx = F(t)
where m is the mass of the particle, γ is the damping coefficient, k is the spring constant, and F(t) is the external force acting on the particle. This equation is known as the driven harmonic oscillator equation.

3. How is driven oscillation different from simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion refers to the motion of a particle or system that is driven by a restoring force (such as a spring) and is not affected by any external forces. In contrast, driven oscillation involves an external force that continuously acts on the particle, causing it to oscillate with a specific frequency and amplitude.

4. What are the applications of driven oscillation?

Driven oscillation has various applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used in the study of mechanical systems, such as mass-spring systems and pendulums. It also has applications in electrical circuits, where it can be used to model the behavior of capacitors and inductors.

5. How can the behavior of a driven oscillating system be analyzed?

The behavior of a driven oscillating system can be analyzed using techniques such as Fourier analysis and the method of undetermined coefficients. These methods allow us to determine the frequency, amplitude, and phase of the oscillations, as well as how the system responds to different external forces.