Tension force on a clothesline

In summary, the problem involves finding the tension force in a rope on each side of Big Bird, who is perched on a clothesline forming a symmetrical 'V' with an angle of 150 degrees. The solution involves drawing a free body diagram and breaking the tension forces into components, finding that the forces in the x-direction cancel and the forces in the y-direction are equal to the force of gravity. Using trigonometry, the tension force can be calculated.
tofuwrice

Homework Statement

Big Bird’ has a force of gravity on him of 720 N. He is perched on a clothesline such that the
clothesline forms a symmetrical 'V' with the angle within the 'V' being 150degrees. What is the
tension force in the rope on each side of ‘Big Bird’?

Homework Equations

Trigonometry

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to draw a scale diagram which failed. I also tried to figure this all out but I'm really stumped.

sin150 = x /720N
sin150 x 720N = x
0 = x
I don't know what to do from there, or even if I'm doing this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the V with two tensions acting, they are the same.

Now split the two tensions into components. For equilibrium, sum of horizontal forces=0
and similarly, sum of vertical forces=0

So he (big bird) is standing on a rope and has a force straightdown in gravity, there are 2 forces of Tension, so try drawing the free body diagram (hint: the tension forces form a V and also break the tension forces into vectors after)

Then imagine a line going through the center of big bird and think about wut the angle should be for each tension force (its not 150)

In the end u should find tht the forces in the x-direction cancel and the forces in the y-direction are Tcos(angle) + Tcos(angle) = Fg

then solve.

1. What is tension force?

Tension force is a pulling force that is exerted on an object, in this case a clothesline, in opposite directions, causing the object to be stretched.

2. How is tension force calculated?

Tension force is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity, and adding any additional forces acting on the object.

3. Why is tension force important in a clothesline?

Tension force is important in a clothesline because it keeps the line taut, allowing it to support the weight of the laundry without sagging or breaking.

4. What factors affect the tension force on a clothesline?

The tension force on a clothesline is affected by the weight of the laundry, the length and material of the line, and any external forces such as wind or the weight of the clothespins.

5. How can tension force be increased on a clothesline?

Tension force can be increased on a clothesline by increasing the weight of the laundry, using a stronger or shorter line, and securing the line tightly to the supports.