Infinite series by integration by parts

In summary, the conversation discusses the hypothesis that if the limit of the product of anti-derivatives and derivatives approaches 0 for all continuous intervals and never diverges, then the integral can be represented as the sum of an infinite series. The conversation also mentions the use of the Mean Value Theorem to prove this and discusses the case where the limit may not always equal 0 or may be infinite.
disregardthat
Science Advisor
Hi, I wonder if this hypothesis is true:

Let [tex]f_n[/tex] be an arbitrarily chosen n'th anti-derivative of the function [tex]f_0[/tex]. Similarly, let [tex]g_n[/tex] be the n'th derivative of the function [tex]g_0[/tex].

Now, [tex]\int^b_a f_0 g_0 \rm{d}x=[f_1g_0]^b_a-\int^b_a f_1g_1 \rm{d}x=[f_1g_0-f_2g_1+...]^b_a+(-1)^n \int^b_a f_{n+1}g_n \rm{d}x[/tex].

hypothesis:

If [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} f_{n+1}g_n =0[/tex] for all continuous intervals of and never diverges. Then

[tex]\int^b_a f_0 g_0 \rm{d}x = [\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} (-1)^n f_{n+1}g_n]^b_a[/tex]

This seems intuitively correct, but I wonder how to prove it.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm thinking Mean Value Theorem. The integral equals [tex]\epsilon(b-a)(f_{n+1}g_n)|_{x=c}[/tex] for some c in the interval [a, b] and [tex]0 \leq \epsilon \leq 1[/tex] which approaches zero.

this was double post, sorry

Last edited:
Excellent, thank you.

We have by induction that

[tex]\int^b_a f_0g_0 \rm{d}x = [\sum^{n-1}_{k=0} (-1)^kf_{k+1}g_{k}]^b_a+(-1)^n\int^b_af_{n+1}g_n \rm{d}x=[\sum^{n-1}_{k=0} (-1)^kf_{k+1}g_{k}]^b_a+(b-a)(f_{n+1} \circ g_n)(t)[/tex]

For some [tex]t \in [a,b][/tex], and any non-negative integer n.

However, [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} (f_{n+1} \circ g_{n} )(t)=0[/tex] is given, so

[tex]\int^b_a f_0g_0 \rm{d}x = \lim_{n \to \infty} \int^b_a f_0g_0 \rm{d}x= \lim_{n \to \infty} [\sum^{n-1}_{k=0} (-1)^kf_{k+1}g_{k}]^b_a+(-1)^n\int^b_af_{n+1}g_n \rm{d}x=\lim_{n \to \infty}[\sum^{n-1}_{k=0} (-1)^kf_{k+1}g_{k}]^b_a+(b-a)(f_{n+1} \circ g_n)(t)=[\sum^{\infty}_{k=0} (-1)^kf_{k+1}g_{k}]^b_a[/tex]

But this is not so obvious if [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} (f_{n+1} \circ g_{n} )(t)[/tex] not always equal 0 i.e. is finite for discrete values of x, or if either of the limits are infinite. Can someone help me there?

Perhaps if the limits are infinite, we can let n tend towards infinity at a rate which make [tex]f_{n+1}g_n[/tex] dominate a limit, say b i.e. so [tex]\lim_{b,n \to \infty} b \cdot f_{n+1}g_n = 0[/tex] Can we choose it to be like that?

Last edited:

1. What is an infinite series by integration by parts?

An infinite series by integration by parts is a mathematical technique used to evaluate the sum of an infinite series. It involves using the integration by parts formula to convert the series into a form that can be easily evaluated.

2. How is an infinite series by integration by parts evaluated?

The infinite series by integration by parts is evaluated by using the integration by parts formula, which states that the integral of the product of two functions is equal to the first function times the integral of the second function minus the integral of the derivative of the first function times the integral of the second function.

3. What are the conditions for using the infinite series by integration by parts?

The conditions for using the infinite series by integration by parts are that the series must be absolutely convergent, meaning that the sum of the absolute values of the terms in the series must converge. Additionally, the series must be in a form that can be manipulated using the integration by parts formula.

4. What are the benefits of using the infinite series by integration by parts?

The infinite series by integration by parts allows for the evaluation of infinite series that cannot be easily evaluated using other methods. It also provides a way to evaluate series with more complicated terms, such as trigonometric functions or logarithms.

5. Are there any limitations to using the infinite series by integration by parts?

One limitation of the infinite series by integration by parts is that it can only be applied to series that are absolutely convergent. Additionally, it may not always be possible to find a closed form solution for the sum of the series using this method.