Motor Torque Requirements (Hub Motor)

In summary, the conversation discussed the task of estimating the torque and current draw needed for a small trailer with two front wheel hub motors. The trailer will accelerate, drive a designated distance, and then stop and turn around. The torque needed for acceleration was calculated by multiplying the trailer's mass and acceleration, while the torque needed for maintaining speed was calculated using the drag force equation. The current draw for each motor at 24V was estimated by dividing the torque needed by the motor's efficiency.
elsikre
Hi !
I really hope that someone can help me with this one. It should actually be straight forward, but somehow these calculations really just … Well, perhaps I am just making things way too complicated so I really need a fresh view on things, so I really like to hear some of your inputs, thx.

The task is actually a homebuilding project. A small trailer with 2 wheels in the front and a freewheel at the rear. Each front wheel has an mounted hub motor (not yet chosen). From a standstill the trailer will accelerate, drive 100 meter at designated speed, then stop, turn around and drive back. I need to estimate how much torque each hub motor can give, able to do this travel. The travel will first be in a parking lot and afterwards repeated on a grass field. Boiled down to this:

1) To know how much torque needed in each motor (both during acceleration and during continuous driving)
2) To estimate how many amps each of the hub motor will consume during this travel (assuming 24V)

Data:
m(total) = 50 kg
r(front.wheel) = 0.1 m
v(trailer) = 3 m/s
a(trailer) = 1 m/s^2
n(motor) = 0.6
V(motor) = 24 V
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
in advance. To calculate the torque needed for each motor, you will need to first calculate the acceleration force. This can be done by finding the total mass of the trailer and then multiplying it by the acceleration (F=ma). F = 50kg * 1 m/s2 = 50 N The torque needed to accelerate the trailer is then equal to the force times the radius of the wheel (T = F x r). T = 50N * 0.1m = 5Nm Once the trailer is up to speed and you want to maintain the speed of 3m/s, you need to calculate the drag force of the trailer. This can be done by using the equation F = Cd x A x V^2/2, where Cd is the drag coefficient, A is the frontal area of the trailer and V is the velocity. Assuming a drag coefficient of 0.5 and a frontal area of 1m2, the drag force is: F = 0.5 x 1m2 x (3m/s)2/2 = 4.5N The torque needed to maintain the speed is then equal to the drag force times the radius of the wheel (T = F x r). T = 4.5N * 0.1m = 0.45Nm To calculate the current draw for each motor at 24V, the torque needed can be divided by the motor's efficiency (I = T/n). I = 5Nm/0.6 = 8.33A I = 0.45Nm/0.6 = 0.75A So the hub motors would need to provide 8.33A during acceleration and 0.75A during continuous driving.

1. What is motor torque and why is it important for hub motors?

Motor torque is a measure of the rotational force that a motor can produce. In the case of hub motors, torque is important because it determines the amount of power and force that the motor can deliver to move the vehicle.

2. How is motor torque measured for hub motors?

Motor torque for hub motors is typically measured in Newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft). It can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the motor's output shaft by the distance from the center of the shaft to the point of force application.

3. What factors affect the torque requirements for hub motors?

The torque requirements for hub motors are affected by several factors, including the weight of the vehicle, the desired acceleration and top speed, the terrain and road conditions, and the efficiency of the motor itself.

4. How do I determine the appropriate motor torque for my application?

The appropriate motor torque for your application will depend on the factors mentioned above. It is important to consider the maximum load that the motor will need to move, as well as any potential obstacles or inclines that the vehicle may encounter during operation.

5. Can I change the torque output of a hub motor?

In most cases, the torque output of a hub motor is fixed and cannot be changed. However, some hub motors may have adjustable torque settings or the ability to be paired with different gear ratios to provide varying levels of torque. Consult the manufacturer's specifications for more information.