What is the neutron source and energy used for BNCT and how is it made suitable?

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mit
The process of making the neutron energy suitable for BNCT involves slowing down fast neutrons using materials like paraffin or beryllium, or using a moderator to convert fast neutrons to thermal neutrons. This allows for a better match between neutron energy and boron capture cross section.In summary, BNCT can use either reactors or accelerators as neutron sources, and the ideal neutron energy for BNCT is low but must also be well-collimated. This can be achieved through methods such as slowing down fast neutrons or using moderators. The OPAL reactor in Australia is an example of this process.
Lisa!
Gold Member
I've read MIT explanations on BNCT and some other articles but Istill have some questions about it!(I want to know these in details) 1st of all which neutron sources is used for BNCT? Which neutron energy is suitable for BNCT and why? which methods are used to make neutron' energy suitable for BNCT?
I'd appreciate if you introduce some useful articles regarded to my question!

Engineering news on Phys.org

BNCT, as far as I know, doesn't use a source. They use either reactors or accelerators.

Energy is a bit of a sticky point - you want low energy neutrons to increase the boron capture probability, but you also want a well-collimated beam to point at the tumor. These two desires conflict with each other at some level.

Here's an example from Australia's OPAL reactor on 'cold' and 'thermal' neutrons.

http://www.ansto.gov.au/discovering_ansto/anstos_research_reactor/opal_capabilities

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is BNCT?

BNCT stands for Boron Neutron Capture Therapy, which is a type of radiation therapy used to treat cancer. It involves targeting cancer cells with a specific type of radiation that is produced when boron atoms absorb neutrons.

2. How does BNCT work?

BNCT works by injecting a compound containing boron atoms into the body. These atoms preferentially accumulate in cancer cells. The patient is then exposed to a beam of neutrons, which causes the boron atoms to release radiation that specifically targets and destroys the cancer cells.

3. What are the advantages of BNCT over other cancer treatments?

One of the main advantages of BNCT is its ability to specifically target cancer cells without causing damage to surrounding healthy tissue. This reduces the risk of side effects and allows for higher doses of radiation to be delivered. Additionally, BNCT has been shown to be effective against certain types of cancer that are resistant to other types of treatment.

4. What types of cancer can BNCT treat?

BNCT has been used to treat a variety of cancers, including brain tumors, head and neck cancers, and melanoma. It is also being researched as a potential treatment for other types of cancer such as prostate and breast cancer.

5. Are there any limitations of BNCT?

One of the limitations of BNCT is the need for a specialized facility and equipment to produce the neutron beam. This makes it less accessible compared to other cancer treatments. Additionally, BNCT is still a relatively new and developing therapy, so there is still ongoing research and improvement to be made in its effectiveness and safety.