Find Average Velocity of cart rolling down the slope.

In summary, the problem involves a cart being released from rest at a distance x1 from the first photogate, then rolling down a frictionless ramp through two photogates at a distance x2 from each other. The cart has an acceleration of a=g sin THETA (in degrees). Using the kinematic equation v^2=v0^2 + 2ax, the final velocity of the cart can be found to be 21.663 cm/s. The average velocity of the cart between the photogates is half of the final velocity, which is 10.8315 cm/s. It is important to use consistent units, either cm or m, throughout the calculations.
Arshad_Physic
In the diagram below, a cart is released from rest at a distance x1 from the first of two photogates. The cart then rolls down the ramp through both photogates. The distance between the photogates is x2. For this problem, you may assume that the cart is frictionless and the acceleration of the cart a=g sin THETA (in degrees).

Question) If x1 = 20 cm, x2 = 50 cm, and THETA = 20 degrees, what is the average velocity of the cart between the photogates (over the distance x2)?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4024978&l=3ffbe03791&id=645560319
[/URL]

(Here is the link to the image: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4024978&l=3ffbe03791&id=645560319 )

This is what I did to solve this problem:

v^2=v0^2 + 2ax

a=-9.8sin20degrees = 3.352

x1=20
x2=50
v0x=0

vx1^2 = 0 + 2(3.352)(20),
vx1^2= SQUARE ROOT of 134.072
= 11.5789 cm/s.

vx2^2 = 11.5789^2 + 2(3.352)(50),
vx2=SQUARE ROOT of 469.271
= 21.663 cm/s

Is this answer correct? I seriously doubt if I am using the correct equations. I can't talk to my professor until the day I have to turn my home work in, and I can't find any examples on google :) I will appreciate if somebody will confirm or correct this ASAP! :)

Thankyou,
Arshad_Physic

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Watch the units, you are mixing m and cm together here. Pick one or the other and be consistent.

Do you want to use cm? Then g is not 9.8 cm/s^2.p.s. welcome to Physics Forums. :smile:

The initial velocity is zero.

The total displacement is 30 cm or 0.3 m, yes?

So just use the same kinematic equation you have to find the final velocity using delta x = 30 cm. Then divide this by two... since the initial velocity is zero. Objects that accelerate at a uniform rate, as in your problem, allow you to take a nice clean average of two velocities. The initial which is zero, and the final velocity which you are going to find now...

sorry for the intrusion.

Thanks Redbelly and pgardn! :)

And yeah, my Physics 2425 course forced me to join this forum! haha - But I am glad because this place is AMAZING! :)

What is the equation for calculating average velocity?

The equation for average velocity is: average velocity = (final displacement - initial displacement) / time.

What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement over a given time period, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time.

Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction.

How does the slope of the surface affect the average velocity of the cart?

The steeper the slope, the faster the cart will accelerate and the higher its average velocity will be.

What are some possible sources of error when calculating the average velocity of the cart?

Possible sources of error could include inaccurate measurements of time or displacement, external forces acting on the cart, or friction on the surface affecting the cart's speed.