Power Outage: Could It Break Something?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of a successful campaign to turn off power at a certain time without the power company's knowledge. It is mentioned that turning the power back on simultaneously may cause momentary outages as systems adjust to the sudden demand. However, it is clarified that electricity is not constantly being pushed into houses and that the system operates more like a water tank that people tap into. Additionally, it is noted that there may be slight variations in frequency when there are sudden changes in demand.
DavidSnider
Gold Member
Say you had a really successful campaign to get everybody to turn off the power in their house at a certain time without the power company knowing it was going to happen. Would this cause something to break?

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, but if everyone turns their power back on at the same time, that might cause momentary outages as systems switch over to handle the sudden demand.

negitron said:
No, but if everyone turns their power back on at the same time, that might cause momentary outages as systems switch over to handle the sudden demand.

So what happens to the power not being used? From what I understand it goes back to the transformer.. Wouldn't it overheat or something?

Electricity isn't like a river flowing in and out of transformers. If people stop drawing power, the generators will just pull less torque from their prime movers and their prime movers (turbines usually) will just throttle back.

OK I think I get it. So it's not like something is constantly "pushing" electricity into houses, and the houses push back what they don't use, it's more like the entire system is a water tank that people tap into and power company just has to keep the tank filled.

Yeah, that's closer to how it works.

Not to complicate things. When there is a quick, large drop in demand, the turbines take a little time to wind down. This can result in the grids frequency to increase. I've seen a couple of hertz variation + and - due to decreases and increases of load.

1. What is a power outage?

A power outage is a temporary loss of electricity in a specific area or region. This can be caused by a variety of factors, such as severe weather, equipment failure, or human error.

2. How long do power outages typically last?

The duration of a power outage can vary greatly depending on the cause and the efforts of utility companies to restore power. While some outages may only last a few minutes, others can last for hours or even days.

3. Can a power outage damage electronic devices?

Yes, a power outage can potentially damage electronic devices. When the power suddenly goes out, it can cause a surge in electricity when it comes back on, which can overload and damage sensitive electronic equipment.

4. What precautions can I take to protect my appliances during a power outage?

To protect your appliances during a power outage, it is recommended to unplug them from the wall or use surge protectors. This can prevent damage from power surges when the electricity comes back on.

5. Can a power outage cause long-term damage to a home or building?

In most cases, a power outage will not cause long-term damage to a home or building. However, if the outage is prolonged and affects essential systems like heating and cooling, it can lead to issues such as mold growth or frozen pipes, which can cause damage in the long run.