Groups and Isomorphisms.

• Thread starter cmj1988
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, given a group G, J is an isomorphism that satisfies the four properties: (i) identity, (ii) inverses, (iii) closure, and (iv) associativity.
cmj1988
Given a group G. J = {[tex]\phi[/tex]: G -> G: [tex]\phi[/tex] is an isormophism}. Prove J is a group (not a subgroup!).

Well we know the operation is function composition. To demonstrate J a group we need to satisfy four properties:

(i) Identity: (I'm not sure what to do with this)
(ii) Inverses: Suppose a [tex]\phi[/tex] in J. We know that since [tex]\phi[/tex] is a one-to-one and onto function, we know that it has an inverse (demonstrated in class). Hence we know for every [tex]\phi[/tex] in J, there exists a [tex]\phi[/tex]^-1.
(iii) Closure: Suppose a [tex]\phi1[\tex] and [tex]\phi2[/tex] such that [tex]\phi[/tex]1(g)=g and [tex]\phi2[/tex](g)=g. Therefore [tex]\phi[/tex]1([tex]\phi2[/tex](g))=g. This follows from what we proved about functions in class.
(iv) Associativity: This one is just moving a bunch of parentheses aroudn while composing and hoping (fingers crossed) that regardless of order of composition a g pops out.

My big problem is identity.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might know of a map that's often called the identity map - f(g) = g for all g in G. This is not a coincidence.

I take issue with points ii and iii. For point ii, you need to show that its inverse is also a homomorphism, but maybe you did that in class also.

For point iii,. you've chosen both maps to be identity maps (they map g to g) not isomorphisms.

How would I demonstrate closure? Since its an isomorphism from G-> G won't it just keep sending elements to itself?

Also, demonstrating its a homomorphism. Doesn't that immediately follow since it is a function through composition, composing a function with its inverse is kosher.

How would I demonstrate closure? Since its an isomorphism from G-> G won't it just keep sending elements to itself?

An isomorphism does not send an element of G to itself, it sends elements of G to elements of G. For example the function
f(x)=-x defined on the integers (with + being your group operation) is an isomorphism, but f(x) never equals x unless x is zero

Alright, so here is my new proof of closure:

Suppose a [tex]\phi[/tex]1(g1)=g2 and [tex]\phi[/tex]2(g2)=g3. Composing and such, it is still closed. I feel like I don't necessarily have to prove closure to demonstrate its a group just because binary operations are assumed to be closed.

Another thing is how do I demonstrate that homomorphism is preserved when demonstrating inverses and such. Since the operation is function composition, would we even have to worry about demonstrating that the action still works? Function composition is pretty versatile.

I feel like I don't necessarily have to prove closure to demonstrate its a group just because binary operations are assumed to be closed.

What? While it may be that you assumed that a group has a binary operation that maps to the group, and hence closure is not an axiom, you still need to show that composition works here. Otherwise, for example:

The set A of all rational numbers of the form n or 1/n, where n is a natural number, is a group under multiplication. It has inverses (1/n*n=1), identity (1) and is associative. The key element here is that I picked a binary operation which doesn't satisfy the definition of a binary operation that a group must have, i.e. multiplication here doesn't map AxA to A; for example 3*(1/2)

If [itex]\phi :G \rightarrow G[/itex] is an isomorphism, an algebraic inverse [itex] \phi ^{-1}[/itex] exists and is obviously bijective. What's left to prove is that [itex] \phi ^{-1}[/itex] is a homomorphism, namely that [itex] \phi ^{-1}(ab) = \phi ^{-1}(a) \phi ^{-1}(b)[/itex] You can write a and b in terms of [itex] \phi[/itex] since it is onto, and that should give you the result that you want

1. What is a group in mathematics?

A group in mathematics is a set of elements with a binary operation that satisfies four properties: closure, associativity, identity, and inverse. These properties ensure that the operation between any two elements in the group will result in another element within the group.

2. What are some examples of groups?

Some examples of groups include the set of integers under addition, the set of real numbers excluding zero under multiplication, and the set of all permutations of a finite set under function composition.

3. What is an isomorphism?

An isomorphism is a bijective map between two groups that preserves the group structure. This means that the operation between elements in one group will result in the same element in the other group when mapped.

4. How do you prove if two groups are isomorphic?

To prove that two groups are isomorphic, you must show that there exists a one-to-one and onto mapping between the two groups that preserves the group structure. This can be done by showing that the mapping satisfies the properties of an isomorphism, such as preserving the identity element and the operation.

5. What is the significance of isomorphisms in mathematics?

Isomorphisms allow us to study and understand different groups by relating them to each other. They also provide a way to classify groups and determine if they are essentially the same or different. Isomorphisms have applications in various fields of mathematics, including algebra, topology, and geometry.