Protecting Self from Gamma Source: Find Lead Thickness

In summary, the gamma source should be shielded with lead glass equivalent to 3 mm lead. The source should not be exposed for more than a minute per day and should be rotated every week.
Rajini
Hello all,
i need one suggestion for shielding of a gamma source.
I have a gamma source with initial activity of 50 mCi=1.85X10^9Bq.
What thickness of lead needed to protect myself!
I used the formula I(x)=I exp(-kx). I=50mCi; k=37.6 cm^2/g (linear attenuation for 122 keV) and x the thickness needed (i took I(x)=1). By the above formula i get ~6mm. Is that okay..
if i am wrong pls. correct me!
2. Is there any good website to get k (linear attenuation) values?

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Um - what radioisotope?

I would presume one has this material in a controlled environment in a laboratory or licensed facility?! And why would one need to be asking about shielding?

Last edited:
57Co-isotope (details are there on www; but about shielding?) for mössbauer spectroscopy! (i am working with it, but i am not sure about shielding)
thanks

Are you doing the mössbauer spectroscopy in a laboratory? If so, I would expect that someone from the health physics department would have set up the shielding. Also, such sources would come in a shielded (shipping/storage) container, such that at the surface, the dosage should be about background, or no more than an order of magnitude above background.

Hello..
Yes...but here some ppl. from (tüv)+health guys checked..they said its okay..but i am worried..because in other labs i noticed they use around 5 cm. That why i asked here...
actually are not big mössbauer gurus..so ppl. pay less attention..
thanks
..i already mounted the source..i used a lead glass..equivalent to 3 mm lead..(however my hands are exposed..for some seconds)
i think 6 mm should be fine..any we don't stay there for more than a minute per day..sometimes..per week

Last edited:
Normally a gamma source would be in a shielded container. In Mössbauer spectroscopy, the source should be shielded and collimated.

TÜV personnel are normally very conscientious. If you have concerns, then talk to the supervisor about your concerns and perhaps request additional shielding. I presume one has a dosimeter badge since one is working around radioactive sources. If not - one should immediately get one and become registered with the radiation protection group at the lab.

Oh yes..we did that!...(one more time)..
They actually did based on strength, lead thickness and also on exposion dose rate.
and i am completely safe!
thanks

1. How does gamma radiation affect the body?

Gamma radiation is a form of high-energy electromagnetic radiation that can penetrate the body and damage cells. Exposure to gamma radiation can increase the risk of cancer and other health problems.

2. What is the purpose of using lead to protect against gamma radiation?

Lead is a dense material that can effectively absorb and block gamma radiation. It is commonly used in shielding materials for its ability to reduce the intensity of gamma rays and protect against radiation exposure.

3. How do you calculate the required thickness of lead for adequate protection?

The thickness of lead required for protection against gamma radiation depends on the energy level and intensity of the source. It can be calculated using equations that take into account the half-value layer, which is the amount of lead needed to reduce the radiation intensity by half.

4. Is lead the only material that can protect against gamma radiation?

No, there are other materials such as concrete, steel, and tungsten that can also provide shielding against gamma radiation. However, lead is often preferred due to its high density and effectiveness in blocking gamma rays.

5. How can I ensure that I am adequately protected from gamma radiation?

In addition to using the appropriate thickness of lead, it is important to regularly monitor radiation levels and follow safety protocols when working with gamma sources. It is also recommended to limit exposure time and always use protective gear such as gloves, aprons, and goggles.