Deriving the divergence in polar coordinates

In summary, to find the divergence operator in polar coordinates, the unit vectors must be taken into account. The formula for the divergence is (1/r)(d/dr)(rF<sub>r</sub>) + (1/r)(d/dtheta)(F<sub>theta</sub>). If the vector field is given in terms of r and theta, the components must be differentiated accordingly.
Amok

Homework Statement

I want to find the divergence operator in polar coordinates (theta and r). I know how to write this operator in cartesian coordinates.

The Attempt at a Solution

I let F(F1,F2) be a vector field. I calculated the partial derivatives of F1 and F2 with respect to x and y respectively ( I said F1 and F2 were functions of theta and r and used the chain rule). That was easy, but I don't get the right answer. I'm pretty sure the reason I got it wrong has something to do with the fact that I didn't take into account the unit vectors in polar coordinates.

Could anyone show me how it's done or at least explain to me what I should do? I would've written more equations, but I don't really know how to do this. I hope it's clear.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! It sounds like you have the right idea, but as you mentioned, the unit vectors in polar coordinates need to be taken into account. In polar coordinates, the unit vectors are not constant, they vary with position. The unit vectors are given by e<sub>r</sub> = cos(theta) i + sin(theta) j and e<sub>theta</sub> = -sin(theta) i + cos(theta) j.

To find the divergence operator, you can use the following formula:

div(F) = (1/r)(d/dr)(rF<sub>r</sub>) + (1/r)(d/dtheta)(F<sub>theta</sub>), where F<sub>r</sub> and F<sub>theta</sub> are the components of the vector field F in the r and theta directions, respectively.

So, for example, if F = F<sub>r</sub> e<sub>r</sub> + F<sub>theta</sub> e<sub>theta</sub>, then F<sub>r</sub> = F<sub>r</sub> and F<sub>theta</sub> = F<sub>theta</sub>.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a coordinate system used to locate points in a plane, using a distance from the origin and an angle from a reference direction. The distance is typically represented by the symbol r, and the angle by the symbol θ.

2. How is divergence defined in polar coordinates?

Divergence in polar coordinates is defined as the rate of change of a vector field with respect to the distance r at a fixed angle θ. It is denoted by the symbol &nabla · F = ∂Fr/∂r + (1/r)∂Fθ/∂θ.

3. What is the purpose of deriving the divergence in polar coordinates?

Deriving the divergence in polar coordinates allows us to express the rate of change of a vector field in terms of r and θ, which are more natural variables for certain problems. It also allows us to solve problems involving vector fields in polar coordinates more easily.

4. How is the divergence formula derived in polar coordinates?

The divergence formula in polar coordinates can be derived using the chain rule and the definition of partial derivatives. It involves converting the vector field into its polar coordinate components and applying the partial derivative operators.

5. What are some applications of the divergence formula in polar coordinates?

The divergence formula in polar coordinates is commonly used in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and other fields where vector fields are present. It can be used to calculate flux, solve boundary value problems, and analyze the behavior of vector fields in certain regions.