Complex analysis- poles vs. Zeros, etc.

In summary, In order to remove the singularity at z_0 in the function f(z), you must cancel the z top and bottom. However, this operation produces a new (partial) function that is not f.
quasar_4
I am having a hard time understanding the difference between poles and zeros, and simple poles versus removable poles. For instance, consider [tex]f(z)=\frac{z^2}{sin(z)} [/tex]. we can expand sine into a power series and pull out a z, so doesn't that remove the singularity at z=0? Also, I don't see why n*pi would not also be removable since it doesn't seem to be a problem in the series expansion (but according to my graded homework, 0 is a zero and n*pi is a simple pole)... Can someone help me out here?

Physics news on Phys.org
quasar_4 said:
we can expand sine into a power series and pull out a z, so doesn't that remove the singularity at z=0?
That's how you remove the singularity. But this operation produces a new (partial) function that is not f. (The difference being that this function is defined at 0 whereas f is not)

But 0 is not a zero, it is a removable singularity! :/

quasar987 said:
But 0 is not a zero, it is a removable singularity! :/
?? What is your point? Hurkyl's point was that if f(z) has a "removable singularity" at [itex]z_0[/itex], yes, you can "remove" it but then you get a different function, g(z). g(z)= f(z) for all z except [itex]z_0[/itex]. He never said anything about being a zero.

My comment was in response to
quasar_4 said:
(but according to my graded homework, 0 is a zero and n*pi is a simple pole)... Can someone help me out here?
HallofIvy.

To try and sum up:
1) Cancel z top and bottom to show that the bottom term -> 1 as z -> 0. So that would remove the singularity and make the function analytic at zero.
1a) Because the bottom can't go to zero, the function must -> 0 when z -> 0. So there is a zero of the function at z = 0.
2) But if you don't cancel the z and stick with the original function, the sin(z) will vanish every time z -> n*pi and the function will go through the roof. So there are simple poles when z = n*pi.

hope this helps.

1. What is the difference between a pole and a zero in complex analysis?

A pole is a point where a function becomes infinite, while a zero is a point where a function becomes zero. Poles can be thought of as the "opposite" of zeros, as they are both points where a function has a significant change in behavior.

2. How can I determine the location of poles and zeros in a complex function?

To find the location of poles and zeros, you can set the function equal to zero and solve for the complex variable. The solutions to this equation will correspond to the locations of zeros. For poles, you can set the function equal to infinity and solve for the complex variable. The solutions to this equation will correspond to the locations of poles.

3. Can a function have both poles and zeros?

Yes, a function can have both poles and zeros. In fact, many functions in complex analysis have both poles and zeros, and the number of poles and zeros can give insight into the behavior of the function.

4. How do poles and zeros affect the behavior of a complex function?

Poles and zeros can greatly affect the behavior of a complex function. Zeros can cause the function to change sign or have a singularity, while poles can cause the function to become infinite or have a singularity. Additionally, poles and zeros can influence the convergence and analyticity of a function.

5. Is there a relationship between the number of poles and zeros in a function?

Yes, there is a relationship between the number of poles and zeros in a function. This is known as the argument principle, which states that the difference between the number of poles and zeros of a function inside a closed contour is equal to the change in the argument of the function around the contour. This can be useful in evaluating integrals involving complex functions.