How to build a constant current source using vacuum tubes

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to discharge a large current into an inductive load from a large capacitive bank. The two main methods for achieving this are switching multiple capacitors in sequence or using a solid state regulator. However, the typical junction devices are unable to handle the required kiloamps of current. The idea of using a vacuum tube as a regulator is also brought up, but it is noted that these devices require high voltages and only draw modest currents. The conversation ends with the suggestion of using a discharge to regulate the current.
parsec
I need to discharge a lot of current into an inductive load from a large capacitive bank. Ideally the current waveform would be as close to a flat-top as possible.

Typically this seems to be done either by switching many caps in sequence using SCRs into a filter network to remove ripple or by simply using many caps to increase the power supply's time constant well beyond the required discharge time.

I have toyed with the idea of using some sort of solid state regulator (e.g. zener based) but typical junction devices can't handle the currents I need (kiloamps).

I know that large vacuum tubes are still manufactured for the radio industry etc. Would it be difficult to make a regulator or constant current source using a valve and some clever feedback? I have no idea where to start designing such a thing.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Transmitting valves are quite high impedance devices.
Typically, they require very high voltages on their anodes to work properly and then they draw relatively modest currents.

See this one:
http://www.uksmg.org/content/russia.htm

They use a voltage of 2000 volts or so and only get 0.4 to 0.6 amps flowing.
Larger devices use as much or more voltage.

I have seen advertisements for huge SCRs that will control hundreds of amps.

Ah right, I figured these valves could handle large currents being so large.

I'm not sure I could use SCRs to throttle kiloamps in any sort of practical (i.e. cheap) way...

Perhaps I could use a discharge of some sort to regulate the current?

What is a constant current source?

A constant current source is an electronic circuit that is designed to provide a steady and consistent output current, regardless of changes in the load or input voltage.

Why use vacuum tubes in a constant current source?

Vacuum tubes have the ability to amplify and regulate a signal, making them well-suited for use in a constant current source. They also have a higher tolerance for high voltages and can handle large currents without overheating.

What are the basic components needed to build a constant current source using vacuum tubes?

The basic components needed include a vacuum tube, a power supply, resistors, and capacitors. Additionally, a potentiometer may be used to adjust the output current.

What are the advantages of using vacuum tubes in a constant current source?

Vacuum tubes have a longer lifespan compared to other electronic components, making them a more reliable choice for long-term use. They also have a high tolerance for temperature changes, making them suitable for use in extreme conditions.

How do I ensure the stability of the output current in a vacuum tube constant current source?

To ensure stability, it is important to choose high-quality components and to properly size and match the resistors and capacitors in the circuit. It is also important to properly bias the vacuum tube and to regularly check and adjust the circuit as needed.