Solving KE for a Bead Rolling Along an Ellipse Using Lagrange's Method

• Thread starter elegysix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    ellipses
In summary, the conversation is about finding the equation of motion of a bead constrained to roll along the bottom half of a frictionless ellipse using Langrange's method. The setup involves polar coordinates and Cartesian components, and the question is whether to use the expression for kinetic energy with r and phi terms or x and y terms. The expert recommends starting with the latter and substituting in the a cos and b sin terms.
elegysix
I'm trying to find the equation of motion of a bead, which is constrained to roll along the bottom half of this frictionless ellipse, by using langrange's method - [tex]L(\phi,\dot{\phi})[/tex].
Here's the setup:
given the bottom half of an ellipse:
[tex]\mathbf{r}(\phi) = acos(\phi)\mathbf{\hat{i}}-bsin(\phi)\mathbf{\hat{j}}[/tex]
where [tex]0<\phi<\pi[/tex], and [tex]\mathbf{\hat{i}}[/tex] , [tex]\mathbf{\hat{j}}[/tex] are the unit vectors for x and y, and [tex]\phi[/tex] is measured from the positive x-axis counterclockwise.

my question is should I use

1) [tex]KE=\frac{m}{2}(\dot{r}^{2}+r^{2}\dot{\phi}^{2})[/tex]
or
2) [tex]KE=\frac{m}{2}(\dot{x}^{2}+\dot{y}^{2})[/tex]

where [tex]\dot{x} \:\&\: \dot{y}[/tex] come from [tex]x=acos(\phi)[/tex] , and [tex] y=-bsin(\phi)[/tex]

which one?

I'm confused because I have polar type coordinates, [tex]r(\phi)[/tex] in terms of Cartesian components.

Assuming that the second equation for KE is not appropriate to use here,

If I use the first the first equation for KE, then is it 'Legal' to find and use [tex] \mathbf{\dot{r}}[/tex] like this? or is this wrong?

[tex]\mathbf{\dot{r}}=-a\dot{\phi}sin(\phi)\mathbf{\hat{i}}-b\dot{\phi}cos(\phi)\mathbf{\hat{j}}[/tex]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As my only other option I'm aware of, I know that the definitely correct, brute force approach looks like this:
[tex]\mathbf{r}(\phi)_{polar}=|\mathbf{r}(\phi)_{cartesian}|\mathbf{\hat{r}}=\sqrt{a^{2}cos^{2}(\phi)+b^{2}sin^{2}(\phi)}\mathbf{\hat{r}}[/tex]

which means we're in polar coordinates, so

[tex]\mathbf{\dot{r}}(\phi)=\dot{r}\mathbf{\hat{r}}+r\dot{\phi}\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}[/tex]

[tex]\mathbf{\dot{r}}(\phi)=\frac{d(\sqrt{a^{2}cos^{2}(\phi)+b^{2}sin^{2}(\phi)})}{dt}\mathbf{\hat{r}}+\dot{\phi}\sqrt{a^{2}cos^{2}(\phi)+b^{2}sin^{2}(\phi)}\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}[/tex]

and L=KE-PE... and then I have to solve [tex]\frac{dL}{d\phi}-\frac{d(\frac{dL}{d\dot{\phi}})}{dt}=0[/tex]
which, that route is becoming a nightmare very quickly, and I don't want any trouble with the algebra police... any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
The idea in these types of problems is to find an expression for the KE purely in terms of your generalized coordinates. Sometimes you may know the KE immediately in those terms, but other times you may have to start from Cartesian coordinates where you know the expression for KE and then you can transform to your generalized coordinates.

That is a long-winded way of saying that I would start with 2) and substitute in the a cos and b sin terms.

I would suggest using the first equation for KE, as it takes into account the rotational motion of the bead along the ellipse. The second equation only considers the linear motion of the bead in the x and y directions, which may not accurately reflect the dynamics of the system.

In terms of finding and using \mathbf{\dot{r}}, it is correct to use the equation you have provided. The velocity vector \mathbf{\dot{r}} is a combination of the linear and rotational velocities, which can be expressed in terms of the polar coordinates in this case.

However, if you find that the brute force approach is becoming too complicated, you could also try using the Lagrangian method with polar coordinates. This would involve setting up the Lagrangian as L=KE-PE, where KE is given by the first equation and PE is determined by the gravitational potential energy of the bead at any point along the ellipse. Then, solving for \frac{dL}{d\phi}-\frac{d(\frac{dL}{d\dot{\phi}})}{dt}=0 would give you the equation of motion for the bead.

Ultimately, the choice between the two methods may depend on the specific problem and your personal preference. Whichever method you choose, make sure to carefully consider the dynamics of the system and double check your calculations to ensure accuracy.

1. What is Lagrange's method and how is it used to solve for kinetic energy?

Lagrange's method is a mathematical technique used to find the equations of motion for a system described by generalized coordinates. In the context of solving for kinetic energy, Lagrange's method involves setting up and solving a system of equations using the Lagrangian, which is a function that incorporates the kinetic and potential energies of the system. This method allows for a more efficient and elegant solution compared to traditional methods that involve solving for individual forces.

2. Can Lagrange's method be used for any type of motion or is it limited to specific systems?

Lagrange's method can be used for any type of motion, as long as the system can be described by generalized coordinates and the Lagrangian can be constructed. This method is particularly useful for complex systems, such as the rolling bead on an ellipse, where traditional methods may be difficult to apply.

3. How does the shape of the ellipse affect the solution for kinetic energy using Lagrange's method?

The shape of the ellipse affects the solution for kinetic energy because it determines the potential energy function in the Lagrangian. The potential energy is dependent on the distance between the bead and the center of the ellipse, which is affected by the shape of the ellipse. Therefore, the shape of the ellipse will impact the overall solution for kinetic energy using Lagrange's method.

4. What are the advantages of using Lagrange's method to solve for kinetic energy compared to traditional methods?

Lagrange's method offers several advantages compared to traditional methods for solving for kinetic energy. First, it allows for a more efficient and elegant solution by incorporating the kinetic and potential energies into a single function. This method also allows for the use of generalized coordinates, which can simplify the equations of motion for complex systems. Additionally, Lagrange's method can be applied to a wide range of systems, making it a versatile tool for solving for kinetic energy.

5. Are there any limitations to using Lagrange's method to solve for kinetic energy?

While Lagrange's method is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It may be difficult to apply for systems with complex constraints or systems that involve non-conservative forces. Additionally, constructing the Lagrangian can be challenging for some systems, which may require a thorough understanding of the system and its dynamics. In these cases, traditional methods may be more suitable for solving for kinetic energy.