Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

In summary, the weather is gradually changing from cold to warmer temperatures. The forecast for tomorrow predicts that there will be winds between 20 and 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. This will create significant blowing and drifting of snow with near blizzard conditions possible at times. Visibilities will be reduced to below one half mile, making roads near impossible to travel on. The cold wind chill values will be widespread, ranging from 20 to 30 below zero. There is a potential for life-threatening situations due to the dangerously cold temperatures. Additionally, my aunt and uncle own a large strawberry farm and citrus orchard near Tampa, FL and stand to lose the entire crop due to the hard long freeze.
nismaratwork said:
@Evo: :bugeye: I'm not sure if you're absurdly lucky to be alive, or if you're incredibly unlucky! Follow the Blessingway... call on First Man, and First Woman... cleanse your home. :wink:
I moved.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
I moved.

I'm not superstitious, but... PHEW!

Evo said:
Having a lovely thunderstorm, looks like the damaging hail storm will pass just south of me, like 2 miles.

nismaratwork said:
I don't believe in luck, good or bad... but you're starting to strain my skepticism. Back, falls, sleep, damaging hail...!

Hell nismaratwork, you haven't seen/heard anything yet.

How many time did you break your arm in one year Evo?

dlgoff said:

How many times... in ONE year?

Evo... Are you Shaun White?

We had one big blast of winter, with about 3" of snow on the ground for most of a week, and temps down into the mid-teens at night, but it seems that Spring has arrived! I've seen flocks of birds landing the trees, deer roaming the property, rodents scurrying with the cats in tow, and beyond a doubt, there has been a skunk in my office! In fact, I'm not entirely convinced he or she isn't hiding in here right now.

Cats and skunks like each other, so the cats are no help at all! They buddy up and then show the skunks how to use the cat door.

38 and damp here... no more winter please... PLEASE.

@Ivan: Are you sure that's not only in Pepé Le Pew?

dlgoff said:

Three times, twice in 10 days, same arm, two different places, ulna the first time, fell and broke my humerus 10 days later. Fell twice in the same spot in my yard 11 months apart, breaking the same piece. That's 4 times for one arm overall.

nismaratwork said:
38 and damp here... no more winter please... PLEASE.

@Ivan: Are you sure that's not only in Pepé Le Pew?

Heh, positive, but I have to wonder if Pepe' [the cartoon] wasn't inspired by real events.

Once I caught one of our cats lying next to a skunk and sleeping under our truck. THAT was too much! But we go through this every year.

Ivan Seeking said:
Heh, positive, but I have to wonder if Pepe' wasn't inspired by real events.

Once I caught one of our cats lying next to a skunk and sleeping under our truck.

Seriously... if skunks and cats ever could crossbreed... we'd be in dead trouble.

Dogs are no better; they just come back looking sad, and stinking. Poor things... they always have to learn that one the hard way.

Evo said:
Three times, twice in 10 days, same arm, two different places, ulna the first time, fell and broke my humerus 10 days later. Fell twice in the same spot in my yard 11 months apart, breaking the same piece. That's 4 times for one arm overall.

No more rollerblading on crisco young lady!

Ivan Seeking said:
Heh, positive, but I have to wonder if Pepe' [the cartoon] wasn't inspired by real events.

Once I caught one of our cats lying next to a skunk and sleeping under our truck. THAT was too much! But we go through this every year.
We need to resurrect your skunk and jumping goat threads! New members are so deprived of all of the good times.

Mid-30s with occasionally-torrential rains today. I'm glad this is not coming down as snow, or we'd be looking at perhaps another 1-1/2 to 2'. Two nights ago, I slipped on the ice in the driveway and sprained my ankle badly. I can't walk without crutches, so if this was a typical March blizzard, my wife would have to deal with it. Not good!

Lots of trees are still coated with ice, and this rain and sudden thaw is causing large chunks of ice to fall off trees and causing overloaded branches to fall, knocking out power to thousands of homes a bit north of here.

Cats and skunks start hanging out in spring. It comes later here than in most of the US, but it's a fact of life. One of my co-workers had to be cautious not to startle the skunk(s) when he got back home after a night shift. His cat adopted skunks and brought them home to share the dry kibble that was left out on the covered porch for him.

turbo-1 said:
Cats and skunks start hanging out in spring. It comes later here than in most of the US, but it's a fact of life. One of my co-workers had to be cautious not to startle the skunk(s) when he got back home after a night shift. His cat adopted skunks and brought them home to share the dry kibble that was left out on the covered porch for him.

That's... kind of adorable actually.

turbo-1 said:
Mid-30s with occasionally-torrential rains today. I'm glad this is not coming down as snow, or we'd be looking at perhaps another 1-1/2 to 2'. Two nights ago, I slipped on the ice in the driveway and sprained my ankle badly. I can't walk without crutches, so if this was a typical March blizzard, my wife would have to deal with it. Not good!
I'm really sorry to hear about your ankle. May it heal soon.

I've watched the radar and have seen all the rain you are getting. I hope summer there doesn't end up like the one where it would have been better to grow rice in your garden.

dlgoff said:
I'm really sorry to hear about your ankle. May it heal soon.

I've watched the radar and have seen all the rain you are getting. I hope summer there doesn't end up like the one where it would have been better to grow rice in your garden.
Thanks. I sprained this same ankle over 40 years ago while ski-racing in our state finals, and it is worse this time. I should be able to limp around in a couple of weeks, but I'll have to be very careful for months.

I've been checking the radar, too, and there are waves of intense rain poised to sweep over us, as well as some precipitation over eastern NY and western NE that could easily intensify on its way here. I hope and pray that we can get some moderate weather this growing season. Last year was either cold and wet or drought for weeks and weeks at a time. I had to install a pump and piping to tap my back-yard pond to water the garden - the two wells (one dug, one drilled) couldn't keep up during the drought.

turbo-1 said:
Thanks. I sprained this same ankle over 40 years ago while ski-racing in our state finals, and it is worse this time. I should be able to limp around in a couple of weeks, but I'll have to be very careful for months.

I've been checking the radar, too, and there are waves of intense rain poised to sweep over us, as well as some precipitation over eastern NY and western NE that could easily intensify on its way here. I hope and pray that we can get some moderate weather this growing season. Last year was either cold and wet or drought for weeks and weeks at a time. I had to install a pump and piping to tap my back-yard pond to water the garden - the two wells (one dug, one drilled) couldn't keep up during the drought.

R.I.C.E. until you can't stand it anymore... and sorry man. Maybe Duke can give it a big slobbery kiss and make it better? :wink:

nismaratwork said:
R.I.C.E. until you can't stand it anymore... and sorry man. Maybe Duke can give it a big slobbery kiss and make it better? :wink:
Duke is a good boy, but he's not much of a healer. He's pretty rambunctious, and when a neighbor showed up to take him for a walk yesterday, he got really excited, started charging around, and accidentally rammed my foot as it was raised with an ice-pack on my ankle. I screamed. It was that bad.

turbo-1 said:
Duke is a good boy, but he's not much of a healer. He's pretty rambunctious, and when a neighbor showed up to take him for a walk yesterday, he got really excited, started charging around, and accidentally rammed my foot as it was raised with an ice-pack on my ankle. I screamed. It was that bad.

My initial reaction was a hissing intake of break through the teeth. Oh MAN. That has to have been a truly awful moment... take care of yourself OK? Heh... Duke must have been surprised by your reaction though, eh?

It's supposed to be 86F tomorrow and then 32F monday night, a drop of 54 degrees! It just snowed the other day, and tomorrow will be air conditioner weather. :bugeye:

We got a foot of very heavy wet snow yesterday and went all night without power. Not good. I can't walk without a crutch, so my wife had to deal the the snow by herself. Some neighbors helped her clear the end of the driveway and dig out the mailbox - she's baking them some bread right now.

turbo-1 said:
We got a foot of very heavy wet snow yesterday and went all night without power. Not good. I can't walk without a crutch, so my wife had to deal the the snow by herself. Some neighbors helped her clear the end of the driveway and dig out the mailbox - she's baking them some bread right now.

I was wondering how you were going to take care of the snow clearing with that ankle. Surly that it's the last snow storm before summer.

dlgoff said:
I was wondering how you were going to take care of the snow clearing with that ankle. Surly that it's the last snow storm before summer.
Nothing sure about that. I remember getting over a foot of wet snow on my birthday (April 18) when I was a kid. Not such a fun birthday shoveling all that heavy slush.

We got snow again today, which changed to rain later. Tomorrow, we're in line for more rain and temps in the 50's, so maybe some of this snow will melt off. In general, the frost has come out of the ground, lawns, etc, so mechanical snow removal (tractor, plowing, etc) would result in some pretty heavy damage. People with unpaved drives are trying to do as little damage as possible, though moving a foot of snow on Saturday posed some challenges. It was so wet and heavy that hand-shoveling much of it would result in some really sore, lame backs. Mud season is here.

Nasty weather forecast for tonight and tomorrow. Could be very heavy wet snow tonight, followed up by gusty winds in the 50+mph range and heavy rains. If it happens, we'll lose power and I'll be sitting here in the dark missing chat. Outages on very sparsely populated roads are the last to be resolved because they bring the least revenue to the power company. We already have a lot of heavily damaged trees from previous storms, and many of them will fail with wet snow and wind. Hope to see you all tomorrow!

turbo-1 said:
Nasty weather forecast for tonight and tomorrow. Could be very heavy wet snow tonight, followed up by gusty winds in the 50+mph range and heavy rains. If it happens, we'll lose power and I'll be sitting here in the dark missing chat. Outages on very sparsely populated roads are the last to be resolved because they bring the least revenue to the power company. We already have a lot of heavily damaged trees from previous storms, and many of them will fail with wet snow and wind. Hope to see you all tomorrow!
You need to buy one of those little generators that will run tv and internet. They're the size of a large briefcase.

Evo said:
You need to buy one of those little generators that will run tv and internet. They're the size of a large briefcase.
I have a generator that will run most of the house. It's for emergencies only. Loss of TV-Internet is not really an emergency. With wood heat, propane cook-stove, etc, we're pretty much set. Unfortunately, we have 2 electrically driven well-pumps (one for the drilled well, one for the dug well) and I'm not really into drinking water drawn from the pond in the back yard.

I also have a power-pack that is intended to jump-start cars, etc, but the inverter only provides about an hour's worth of juice to the TV/satellite system.

turbo-1 said:
Loss of TV-Internet is not really an emergency.

You must be joking. Missing a chat is not an emergency?

April 17 and it's snowing.

Time to crawl back into bed with another book... this sucks.

Tomorrow is my birthday, and I remember as a child having to go out and shovel about a foot of heavy wet snow on my birthday so my dad could get his car into the driveway.

Happy B-day

may you not have to shovel. :)

It's freezing here, temps in the 30's (fahrenheit).

30 deg with freezing rain. At least the hail and thunder has stopped, though my garden is all white from the hail.

turbo-1 said:
30 deg with freezing rain. At least the hail and thunder has stopped, though my garden is all white from the hail.
Good thing you don't have warm weather crops planted. I've had gardens destroyed by early summer hail storms and winds. It's heartbreaking.