Software for viewing/writing LaTeX

In summary, the conversation is about finding software to easily create and display LaTeX equations. TeXnic center, Texmaker, and LatexIt are recommended, as well as using online tools or installing Latex on the computer. Some users also suggest using Kile, Emacs, or Mathtype for compatibility with Word.
doive
I'm looking for some software which will allow me to view/write/edit LaTeX equations. At the moment I am inputting my equations into this forum and clicking "preview post" in order to get equations in the LaTeX format, which is pretty unsatisfactory (though up till now has been so irregular as to not make it an issue). So i would like a bit of simple software that will allow me to create LaTeX images simply.

any recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try TeXnic center.

i've tried stuff like that before and i think i must be doing it wrong :s

i can input as much LaTeX as i like, but i can't get it to display anywhere? i have the majority of the document prepared in word and just want to add half a dozen formulae. How can i do that in this package? (as you can tell I'm not much of a computer whizz :S)

Try Texmaker. Very intuitive software!

Old thread...

But, one of the best Latex toolsets is Kile + Okular. You need to be running Linux, though.

If you just want to do quick and dirty equations, any text-editor will work fine as long as you have a shortcut to compile the latex to something viewable like DVI or PDF.

Of course, for any editor to work, you have to have some version of Latex installed.

Windows - use MikTex
http://miktex.org/

Linux - use Tex Live
http://www.tug.org/texlive/

I started by using Kile, but now I simply use GNU Emacs (no offence to the vi users). Sometimes I use gedit (GNOME text editor) if I want to copy a lot of text from another source.

As a word die hard you could try mathtype, the professional version of the equation editor. You can toggle the formula to be shown as latex. I also use it in connection with latex2rtf to convert tex files into word files if I have to.

What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting program used to create technical or scientific documents. It is based on the TeX typesetting system and is primarily used for writing documents with complex mathematical equations.

What is software for viewing/writing LaTeX?

Software for viewing/writing LaTeX is a program or application that allows users to create, edit, and view LaTeX documents. It typically includes features such as a text editor, a compiler, and a preview of the document.

What are some popular software options for viewing/writing LaTeX?

Some popular software options for viewing/writing LaTeX include Overleaf, TeXworks, Texmaker, and LyX. These programs are free and offer a user-friendly interface for creating and editing LaTeX documents.

Do I need to have programming experience to use software for viewing/writing LaTeX?

No, you do not need to have programming experience to use software for viewing/writing LaTeX. While some basic understanding of coding may be helpful, most LaTeX software provides a user-friendly interface and offers templates and tutorials to help beginners get started.

Can I collaborate with others using software for viewing/writing LaTeX?

Yes, many software options for viewing/writing LaTeX allow for collaboration with others. This can be done through real-time editing, version control, and online sharing options. This is particularly useful for group projects or co-authoring documents.