Atmospheric Chemistry, where to start?

In summary: The balloon has an apparent density of 1.18 kg/m^3. Assuming the balloon is filled with helium at 1 atm and 298 K, the balloon will rise to a height of 1.5 km.
farasha
An atmospheric chemist wishes to measure O3 using a portable “ozone sonde” that will be attached to a helium filled balloon. The mylar balloon is non-elastic and has a fixed volume of 2.0 m3 when filled. The mylar balloon has a mass of 500 g when empty. The ozone sonde has a mass of 750 g. Presume the balloon is filled with He at 1 atm and 298K, and is then launched from the surface.
a) What is the balloons “apparent” density (include mass of He, mylar and ozone sonde). Assume the volume of the ozone sonde is negligible compared to the volume of the balloon.
b) What is the density of the surrounding air at this P and T. Will the balloon float?
c) What will be the balloon’s initial acceleration?
d) Derive an expression for the density of air as a function of height (z) presuming that the pressuredecreases according to the barometric law, and the temperature decreases at the adiabatic lapse rate. (For simplicity you may assume a constant scale height throughout). Calculate the density of air at
0.5km, 1.0 km, 1.5 km, 2.0 km.
e) The balloon is winched upwards using a high strength line with a mass of 250 g/km. Derive an expression for the “apparent” density of the balloon as a function of height (z) (including the effects
of the increasing mass of the line as the balloon rises). Calculate the apparent density of the balloon at 0.5km, 1.0 km, 1.5 km, 2.0 km.
f) How high will the balloon rise?
i know its very long question ... iwant you to help me at least with the first part so i can know what's going on.. believe me i don't even know wut formulas i should use for this
the teacher notes are so easy and his assignment are like hell!
the forlumlas i knw

for concentration density=nx Mx/Av i know how to find air denisty ...
i also number density nx=Cx na

Physics news on Phys.org

so if i want to solve for part a)
density = mass/volume
500g+750g/2.0m^3 is that right?

and so for part b) air denisty =pMwa/RT

so i got 1.18kg/m^3 is that right.. now how do i knw if the baloon will actually flow or not?

NEVER MIND GOT HELP FOR THISS :-) just ignore this

As an atmospheric chemist, the first step in measuring O3 using a portable "ozone sonde" attached to a helium filled balloon would be to understand the basic principles of atmospheric chemistry. This includes understanding the composition of the Earth's atmosphere and the processes that affect it, such as atmospheric circulation, temperature, and pressure.

a) To find the balloon's "apparent" density, we must first calculate the total mass of the system. This includes the mass of the helium, mylar balloon, and ozone sonde. Using the information given, we can calculate the total mass as follows:

Mass of helium = density of helium x volume of balloon = 0.1785 g/L x 2.0 m3 = 357 g
Mass of mylar balloon = 500 g
Mass of ozone sonde = 750 g

Total mass = 357 g + 500 g + 750 g = 1607 g

Next, we can calculate the volume of the system, which is the volume of the balloon plus the volume of the ozone sonde. However, since the volume of the ozone sonde is negligible compared to the balloon, we can assume that the volume of the system is equal to the volume of the balloon, which is 2.0 m3.

Using the formula for density (mass/volume), we can now calculate the "apparent" density of the balloon as:

"Apparent" density = 1607 g / 2.0 m3 = 803.5 g/m3

b) The density of the surrounding air at this pressure (1 atm) and temperature (298K) can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that:

PV = nRT

Where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

Assuming that air is a mixture of gases with an average molecular weight of 28.97 g/mol, we can calculate the number of moles of air in 1 m3 of air at 1 atm and 298K as:

n = (1 atm x 1 m3) / (0.08206 L atm/mol K x 298 K) = 0.0415 mol

Using this value for n, we can now calculate the density of air as:

Density of air = (0.0415 mol x 28.97 g

What is atmospheric chemistry?

Atmospheric chemistry is the study of the chemical composition and processes occurring in Earth's atmosphere, including the interactions between different gases, particles, and energy sources.

Why is atmospheric chemistry important?

Atmospheric chemistry is important because it plays a crucial role in determining the quality of our air, water, and soil. It also affects climate change, weather patterns, and the health of living organisms.

What are some key components of atmospheric chemistry?

Key components of atmospheric chemistry include the Earth's atmosphere, which is made up of various gases such as nitrogen, oxygen, and carbon dioxide, as well as aerosols, clouds, and radiation. These components interact with each other and with external factors, like human activities, to create chemical reactions and reactions.

How do scientists study atmospheric chemistry?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study atmospheric chemistry, including satellite measurements, ground-based instruments, and computer models. They also conduct field experiments and collect samples of air, water, and soil to analyze in a laboratory setting.

What are some current challenges in atmospheric chemistry research?

Some current challenges in atmospheric chemistry research include understanding the impacts of human activities on the composition of the atmosphere, predicting and mitigating the effects of climate change, and developing new methods to monitor and measure air pollution. Additionally, there is a need for international collaboration and funding to continue advancing our understanding of atmospheric chemistry.