Is it safe to use electricity on the human body for muscle reflex studies?

In summary, the student wants to measure muscle reflexes with an AC/DC transformer, and wants to be able to vary the current between 200-500 microA.
flam3_s33k3r
Hello,

I want to build a circuit that can put about 350 microA in my body(to study muscle reflexes etc.). Until now I've come to the conclusion that I need DC in order to get a definite direction of the current. Can anyone help me in figuring out what kind of AC/DC transformer and what output should my circuit have? I also what to be able to modify the desired current between roughly 200-500 microA.

Engineering news on Phys.org
flam3_s33k3r said:
Hello,

I want to build a circuit that can put about 350 microA in my body(to study muscle reflexes etc.). Until now I've come to the conclusion that I need DC in order to get a definite direction of the current. Can anyone help me in figuring out what kind of AC/DC transformer and what output should my circuit have? I also what to be able to modify the desired current between roughly 200-500 microA.

Welcome to the PF. Exactly what are you trying to do? How familiar are you with safety considerations when combining electricty and the human body?

I am a 2nd year student in Computer Science. This week I will consult my faculty teachers as well. I am familiar with some safety regulations but only for voltage sources. As I stated above I wish to drive a 200-500 microA current through certain areas of my body(varying accordingly with the muscle lengths of the body). This will happen with two electrodes (copper probably) touching the skin (dry, with no inductive materials applied). I will try to get some readings for my body's resistance using a multimeter. I have a 220-230V (50 Hz) AC input and I need to figure out an approach to build my circuit.

flam3_s33k3r said:
I am a 2nd year student in Computer Science. This week I will consult my faculty teachers as well. I am familiar with some safety regulations but only for voltage sources. As I stated above I wish to drive a 200-500 microA current through certain areas of my body(varying accordingly with the muscle lengths of the body). This will happen with two electrodes (copper probably) touching the skin (dry, with no inductive materials applied). I will try to get some readings for my body's resistance using a multimeter. I have a 220-230V (50 Hz) AC input and I need to figure out an approach to build my circuit.

Hopefully your advisor is familiar with biomedical safety regulations, and can make that part of your study for this project. Are you looking to do some electromyograms?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromyography

You will not get consistent results with dry contacts. You will need to use traditional medical electrodes (disposable, stick-on type). And be careful -- when you start making good electrical contact with the body with those electrodes, you open yourself (and others) up to some potential dangers.

I think you should meet with your advisor and discuss safety a bit before trying anything out. Especially something you read on a web forum. I'm going to lock this thread for now. PM me after you've met with your advisor, and tell me what kind of safety considerations you've been studying and have discussed, and I'll consider re-opening the thread.

1. How does electricity affect the human body?

Electricity can have both positive and negative effects on the human body. When it is used in medical treatments such as defibrillation or nerve stimulation, it can be beneficial. However, exposure to high levels of electricity can be dangerous and even fatal, causing burns, muscle contractions, and damage to the nervous system.

2. How does the human body produce electricity?

The human body produces electricity through the movement of ions in and out of cells. This process, known as electrochemical signaling, is essential for communication between cells and the functioning of muscles and nerves. The brain also produces electricity through the firing of neurons.

3. How does electricity impact the heart?

Electricity plays a crucial role in the functioning of the heart. The heart's electrical system coordinates the contraction of its muscles, allowing it to pump blood throughout the body. Disruptions in this electrical system, such as irregular heart rhythms, can lead to serious health issues.

4. Can electricity be generated by the human body?

Yes, the human body can generate small amounts of electricity through the movement of muscles and the firing of neurons in the brain. However, this amount is not significant enough to power external devices or systems.

5. How is electricity used in medical treatments for the human body?

Electricity is used in various medical treatments for the human body, such as defibrillation, nerve stimulation, and electroconvulsive therapy. It can also be used to treat chronic pain and promote tissue healing. In these treatments, controlled amounts of electricity are delivered to specific areas of the body to achieve a therapeutic effect.