Using the decay rate of rubidium isotope to determine age of fossils

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the rubidium isotope 87-Rb to determine the age of rocks and fossils. It is a beta emitter with a half life of 4.9 x 10^10 yr and decays into 87-Sr. The question at hand is how long it would take for 1% of the Rb to decay. The equation linking half life and decay rate is used to estimate an answer much smaller than the half-life. The discussion also mentions using the ratio of Sr/Rb = 0.01 and the equation N/No = e^-λt to find the time it would take for 1% of the Rb to decay.
Helena_88
Hello! i was just wondering if anyone could help me with this,

The rubidium isotope 87-Rb is a beta emitter with a half life of 4.9 x 10^10 yr that decays into 87-Sr. It is used to determine the age of rocks and fossils. Certain rocks contain a ratio of 87-Sr to 87Rb of 0.0100. Assuming there was no 87-Sr present when the rocks were formed, calculate the age of these fossils.

So far all i can think of doing is taking 1% of the half life as the answer but I'm very uncertain!

Thanks for any help with this :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
So the question asks how long does it take for 1% of the Rb to decay.

First of all you need an estimated answer, otherwise with such large numbers you will make a mistake.
The half life is the time it takes for 50% to decay, so we are looking for an answer much much less than the half-life.

Do you know the equation linking half life and decay rate ?

half life = ln(2)/decay constant = τln2

can i say that
because the ratio is Sr/Rb = 0.01
N/No = e^-λt so
0.01 = e^-λt

then t1/2 =ln/λ then find t?

Hmm...

Do you mean [itex]\frac{log(2)}{\lambda}[/itex]?

yes i did.

1. How is the decay rate of rubidium isotope used to determine the age of fossils?

The decay rate of rubidium isotope, specifically rubidium-87, is used in a process called radiometric dating. This is a method that measures the amount of radioactive isotope in a sample and compares it to the amount of stable isotope. By knowing the half-life of rubidium-87, scientists can calculate the age of the fossil by determining how much of the original isotope has decayed.

2. What is the half-life of rubidium-87?

The half-life of rubidium-87 is approximately 49 billion years. This means that after 49 billion years, half of the original amount of rubidium-87 in a sample will have decayed into its stable form, strontium-87.

3. Can the decay rate of rubidium isotope be affected by external factors?

Yes, the decay rate of rubidium isotope can be affected by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and chemical reactions. However, these factors are usually constant and are taken into account when calculating the age of a fossil using radiometric dating.

4. How accurate is using the decay rate of rubidium isotope to determine the age of fossils?

The accuracy of using the decay rate of rubidium isotope to determine the age of fossils depends on several factors, including the precision of the equipment used, the type of rock the fossil is found in, and the amount of parent and daughter isotopes present. However, radiometric dating is generally considered a reliable method for determining the age of fossils.

5. Are there any limitations to using the decay rate of rubidium isotope to determine the age of fossils?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the decay rate of rubidium isotope for dating fossils. These include the possibility of contamination of the sample, the assumption that the sample has remained closed and not been affected by external factors, and the need for a sufficient amount of radioactive isotope in the sample. Additionally, radiometric dating is not useful for dating fossils that are older than about 50,000 years.