Confused about Voltage and Current

In summary, your physics teacher is trying to tell you that current and voltage are related when there is current flowing, but they are not related when there is no current flowing.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Hello;

What is the relationship between the two? Are they proportional or inversely proportional to each other? I ask this because my physics teacher said that they were proportional on one day, then inversely proportional on another day. I thought that more current = more voltage... am I right or wrong?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ohm's law states that they are proportional, V=IR. In what context did you hear inversely proportional?

Well, the lesson yesterday was regarding generators. He stated that as voltage increased, current decreased (as one goes up, the other must go down). I didn't argue at that point because that confused me (as you said, I thought they were proportional by V=IR).

Your teacher is trying to tell you when they are proportional, and when they are not. In resistors, for example, they are proportional. In transformers, they are inversely proportional.

Regarding generators, the generating power of the generator is (ideally) equal to the product of the current and the voltage it produces, so increasing one means decreasing the other. Therefore you can transmit the equivalent amount of power with higher voltage and lower current or lower voltage and higher current -- if you want to increase both, you need to get a more powerful generator. Maybe that's what your teacher meant.

The relation between the two depends on the device. In a resistor, the relation is linear, i.e. V = I*R, per Ohm's law.

But for a junction diode, the relation ship is exponential/logarithmic. A diode behaves per the equation Id = Is*exp((Vd/Vt) - 1), or Vd = Vt*ln((Id/Is) + 1). Vt = nkT/q, which any reference text can elaborate on.

For other devices, like incandescent light bulbs, another non-linear equation is used.

So in conclusion, the relation between I & V depends on the device and application.

Claude

Voltate is a potential, the potential energy per unit charge within a field, with respect to some reference point, or the difference in potential between two points.

Current is a rate of charge flow. 1 amp is equivalent to 6.24150948×10^18 elemental charges per second. An electron has -1 elemental charge.

Voltage and current only have a relationship when there is current flowing through some type of electrical component, and the relationship depends on that component.

Note that voltage can exist without current.

...and current without voltage.

Lsos said:
...and current without voltage.

Lsos - under what conditions do you consider that a current will flow without there being a potential difference across the conductor i.e a Voltage

Alanbrown said:
Lsos - under what conditions do you consider that a current will flow without there being a potential difference across the conductor i.e a Voltage

I'll answer, if it's ok. The answer is - superconductor. But I w/o V, as well as V w/o I, only happens under static conditions.

With dynamic (time varying) conditions, I & V cannot exist independently. They are mutually inclusive, co-dependent, simultaneous, inter-related, etc. One cannot exist w/o the other. This issue is very old, but yet it keeps rearing its head. Current and voltage co-exist, and that is what we know. But because real world power sources, like batteries and generators, are designed and built to operate in the constant voltage mode, many assume that voltage is somehow more basic than current. It is not. Power sources could, and have been constructed for constant current operation. It isn't done because losses are much higher.

The OP asked about the I-V relation. That would depend on the device under examination. Some devices are linear, some are not. That was what I conveyed.

Does this help?

That's what I had in mind, a superconductor.

But also...even if you have a normal wire, doesn't it take some finite time for the current to stop flowing once you remove the voltage?

I'm not so sure how electricity works at this deeper level, but it makes sense to me that it would not be instantaneous, and would depend on the resistance...

1. What is the difference between voltage and current?

Voltage refers to the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit, measured in volts. It is the force that pushes electrons through a circuit. Current, on the other hand, is the flow of electric charge, measured in amps. It is the rate at which electrons flow through a circuit.

2. How are voltage and current related?

Voltage and current are directly proportional to each other, meaning that an increase in voltage will result in an increase in current, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Ohm's law, which states that voltage equals current multiplied by resistance (V=IR).

3. What is the unit of measurement for voltage and current?

Voltage is measured in volts (V), while current is measured in amps (A). These units are named after the scientists who discovered the concepts of voltage (Alessandro Volta) and current (André-Marie Ampère).

4. Can voltage exist without current?

No, voltage cannot exist without current. In order for voltage to be present, there must be a flow of current through a circuit. Without current, voltage would have no effect and would be considered a static charge.

5. How is voltage and current used in everyday life?

Voltage and current are used in a variety of everyday devices such as household appliances, electronics, and transportation systems. They are essential for the functioning of these devices and play a crucial role in powering our modern world.