Calculate current in a cylinder with a hollow cavity

In summary, the problem involves finding the total current I in an infinite long cylindrical conductor with a cavity, given a current density \textbf{J}=\frac{I}{A}. The solution involves calculating the cross section area of the cylinder without the hole and subtracting the cross section area of the hole, then multiplying this result by the current density to find the current. Another method is to simply subtract the cross section area of the hole from the cross section area of a solid cylinder, then multiply by the current density. Both methods will give the same correct answer of I=\frac{3}{4}\pi {{R}^{2}}\cdot J. The definition for current density can be found in the "Relevant equations"
Ylle

Homework Statement

I got this problem (Sectional image of a cylinder):
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3448/cylinder.jpg

Besides that I know that the cylindrical conductor is infinite long, and the same is the cavity.

And through the conducting material there is a current density that is given by:

[tex]\textbf{J}=J\hat{\textbf{z}}[/tex]

And that is pretty much it.

Now determine the total current I in the conductor.

Homework Equations

[tex]\[J=\frac{I}{A}\Leftrightarrow I=JA\][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea...
First I thought of doing this:

[tex]I=\int_{0}^{R}{J}\left( 2\pi R \right)dR-\int_{0}^{R}{J}\left( 2\pi \left( R/2 \right) \right)dR[/tex]

But that kinda did not work. So now I'm quite lost :)

A hint would be much appreciated :)Oh yes, the correct answer should be:

[tex]I=\frac{3}{4}\pi {{R}^{2}}\cdot J,[/tex]
that's what I know.Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition for current density? This should answer your question.

Well, that is what I've written in the "Relevant equations" section.

Calculate the cross section area of the cylinder without the hole then find the cross section area of the hole. This will give the actual cross section area.

So instead of the above it's:

[tex]
I=\int_{0}^{R}{J}\left( 2\pi R \right)dR-\int_{0}^{R/2}{J}\left( 2\pi R \right)dR
[/tex]

It gives the correct answer, but I don't know if that is what you meant ?

Yes, what you did is correct but there is another way that is simpler. Subtract the cross section area of the hole from the cross section area of a solid cylinder to find the net cross section area. This result mulltiplied by the current density equals the current. You found the net cross section area by integration.

Argh, ofc... That's much easier :)

Thank you :)

1. How do you calculate the current in a cylinder with a hollow cavity?

To calculate the current in a cylinder with a hollow cavity, you will need to know the radius of the cylinder, the radius of the hollow cavity, and the electric field strength. You can then use the formula I = (π * ε * (R^2 - r^2) * E)/ln(R/r), where I is the current, ε is the permittivity of the material, R is the radius of the cylinder, r is the radius of the hollow cavity, and E is the electric field strength.

2. What is the formula for calculating current in a cylinder with a hollow cavity?

The formula for calculating current in a cylinder with a hollow cavity is I = (π * ε * (R^2 - r^2) * E)/ln(R/r), where I is the current, ε is the permittivity of the material, R is the radius of the cylinder, r is the radius of the hollow cavity, and E is the electric field strength.

3. Can you calculate the current in a cylinder with a hollow cavity without knowing the electric field strength?

No, the electric field strength is a crucial component in calculating the current in a cylinder with a hollow cavity. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately calculate the current.

4. What factors can affect the current in a cylinder with a hollow cavity?

The current in a cylinder with a hollow cavity can be affected by the radius of the cylinder, the radius of the hollow cavity, the electric field strength, and the permittivity of the material. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact the current.

5. How can the current in a cylinder with a hollow cavity be increased?

The current in a cylinder with a hollow cavity can be increased by increasing the electric field strength, decreasing the radius of the hollow cavity, or increasing the permittivity of the material. Additionally, using a material with a higher conductivity can also increase the current.