Uniqueness of solution to the wave function

In summary: so in a similar way to how you did yours, you can just replace the first and second terms in the integral with the corresponding derivatives and you'll get the same result.
fluidistic said:
Now we've showed that the second term of the integrand is worth [tex]2 (\nabla(\partial_t u_3) \cdot \nabla u_3)[/tex].

We did?!... Certainly, if [itex]u_3(0,x)=0[/itex], you can also say [itex]\mathbf{\nabla}u_3(0,x)=0[/itex]...that's all you need in order to show the second term vanishes.

In order to say that the integral will be zero for all [itex]t[/itex], you also need to show that [itex]u_3[/itex] satisfies the wave equation, so that you can apply the proof of [itex]E[/itex] being constant.

Real and positive I'd say. Real, not really sure why (I just seen in Born's book on Optics that some general time-harmonic fields are complex and that the real parts represent the fields), but energy has to be real... although I wouldn't be so surprised if it's a complex number whose real part represent the energy.
The first term is positive if it's a real number.

I'd say it is is safe to assume that [itex]u_3[/itex] is real-valued (and hence so are its derivatives). However, [itex](\partial_t u_3)^2[/itex] doesn't necessarily have to be positive, it could also be zero.
Thus the only way for the E to be 0 is that both terms are actually 0.

Right.

Oh... thus [tex]u_3=0[/tex]

You can't directly conclude that from the fact that [itex](\partial_t u_3)^2[/itex] and[itex]\mathbf{\nabla}u_3\cdot\mathbf{\nabla}u_3[/itex] are both zero. However, the fact that [itex](\partial_t u_3)^2=0[/itex] does allow you to conclude that [itex]u_3[/itex] is constant in time. And you also know that [itex]u_3(t=0,x)=0[/itex] so yes, [itex]u_3=0[/itex] and hence [itex]u_1=u_2[/itex] and thus thereis only one unique solution to the given wave equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to say that the integral will be zero for all LaTeX Code: t , you also need to show that LaTeX Code: u_3 satisfies the wave equation, so that you can apply the proof of LaTeX Code: E being constant.
Ok, what about this argument: "[tex]u_1[/tex] and [tex]u_2[/tex] are solutions to the WE, hence any linear combination of them also is a solution to the WE; thus [tex]u_3[/tex] also satisfies it."?
Thanks for the rest.

fluidistic said:
"[tex]u_1[/tex] and [tex]u_2[/tex] are solutions to the WE, hence any linear combination of them also is a solution to the WE; thus [tex]u_3[/tex] also satisfies it."

Exactly.:smile:

gabbagabbahey said:
Exactly.:smile:

Ok. A big thank you for everything for all the help you provided me and all the time taken to try to teach me a lot of things. I'm going to copy the full solution on a sheet of paper once again and try to digest it completely.

I have a similar problem although harder where the energy is not given and I have to deduce it; so you might see me again posting in the same forum!