How to find the maximum voltage that can be placed across a capacitor.

In summary, to find the maximum voltage that can be placed across the capacitor, you will need to use the dielectric strength value, which is 8.0 kV/mm. This value gives you the maximum voltage that the capacitor can withstand before breaking down. By looking at the units, you can see that this value is in kilovolts per millimeter, so you will need to convert the separation distance from millimeters to meters in order to calculate the maximum voltage.
squintyeyes
How do you find the maximum voltage that can be placed across the capacitor?

It is a parallel plate strontium titanate filled capacitor, that has plates of area 0.78 m^2 and a separation of 0.070 mm. It also has a dielectric constant of 310 and a dielectric strength of 8.0 kV/mm.

I already figured out that the capacitance is 30.570 * 10^-6 F

But i can't seem to figure out how to find the max voltage.

Physics news on Phys.org
squintyeyes said:
How do you find the maximum voltage that can be placed across the capacitor?

It is a parallel plate strontium titanate filled capacitor, that has plates of area 0.78 m^2 and a separation of 0.070 mm. It also has a dielectric constant of 310 and a dielectric strength of 8.0 kV/mm.

I already figured out that the capacitance is 30.570 * 10^-6 F

But i can't seem to figure out how to find the max voltage.

The dielectric strength gives you the answer.Look at the units.What do they tell you?

thanks!

1. What is the maximum voltage that can be placed across a capacitor?

The maximum voltage that can be placed across a capacitor is determined by the breakdown voltage of the capacitor. This is the voltage at which the insulating material between the capacitor plates breaks down and allows current to flow through. It is usually specified by the manufacturer and can vary depending on the type and size of the capacitor.

2. How do I calculate the maximum voltage for a specific capacitor?

To calculate the maximum voltage for a specific capacitor, you will need to know the breakdown voltage and the capacitance of the capacitor. The maximum voltage is equal to the breakdown voltage multiplied by the capacitance. For example, if a capacitor has a breakdown voltage of 100 volts and a capacitance of 10 microfarads, then the maximum voltage that can be placed across the capacitor is 1000 volts.

3. Can I exceed the maximum voltage for a capacitor?

It is not recommended to exceed the maximum voltage for a capacitor as it can cause permanent damage to the capacitor and potentially lead to a short circuit or explosion. It is important to always follow the manufacturer's recommendations and specifications for the maximum voltage of a capacitor.

4. What happens if I apply a voltage higher than the maximum for a capacitor?

If a voltage higher than the maximum is applied to a capacitor, it can cause the insulating material to break down and allow current to flow through. This can result in damage to the capacitor and potentially other components in the circuit. It is important to always use a voltage within the specified maximum for a capacitor.

5. Can I decrease the maximum voltage for a capacitor by connecting multiple capacitors in series?

Yes, connecting multiple capacitors in series will decrease the maximum voltage for the overall circuit. The total maximum voltage will be equal to the breakdown voltage of the lowest rated capacitor in the series. It is important to consider the maximum voltage for each individual capacitor when connecting them in series.