Violent video games make you can you guess?

In summary, this research shows that people who play video games may be more likely to have unhealthy habits, but it's not clear if the games themselves are responsible.
BenVitale
I read, some time ago, a research unveiled by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that claims video game players were more likely to be overweight, depressed and introverted.

but this article says: http://sify.com/news/violent-video-games-make-you-smarter-news-international-kexk4chbaaj.html

Does this surprise you? Well, it did surprise me.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I agree.

I also think it develops quick-thinking strategy styles. It teaches you to predict, not to react.

I play violent video games and I'm a genius so it must be true.

Topher925 said:

This made my day.

Topher925 said:

X2, GTA IV is one of my favorites by far.

GTA is OK, but Battlefield Bad Company 2 is where its at.

Wow, I can see it now a nation full of smart couch potatoes. If needed the army can come in with wheel barrows and cart them off to command centers where they are dumped on to couches with Mt Dew piped in. They could keep remote controlled battles going for days on end.

Integral said:
Wow, I can see it now a nation full of smart couch potatoes. If needed the army can come in with wheel barrows and cart them off to command centers where they are dumped on to couches with Mt Dew piped in. They could keep remote controlled battles going for days on end.

[PLAIN]http://media.strategywiki.org/images/b/bd/Starcraft_Terran_Command_Center.jpg

Command centre's are where it's at! But seriously video games with many functions such as WoW and whatnot and all the characteristics in that game that you have to calculate do stimulate your brain (to a certain degree).

Last edited by a moderator:
Integral said:

Couch potatoes? Please... Real video gamer don't play games on councils, they play on PCs in chairs.

BenVitale said:
I read, some time ago, a research unveiled by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that claims video game players were more likely to be overweight, depressed and introverted.

but this article says: http://sify.com/news/violent-video-games-make-you-smarter-news-international-kexk4chbaaj.html
That finding doesn't contradict the CDC research. As with many things, the problems come if you are obsessive about them.

1. Do violent video games cause real-life violence?

There is no conclusive evidence to suggest that playing violent video games leads to real-life violence. While some studies have shown a correlation between playing violent video games and aggressive behavior, it is important to note that correlation does not equal causation. Other factors, such as a person's environment and upbringing, can also play a role in their behavior.

2. Are children more susceptible to the negative effects of violent video games?

Research has shown that young children may be more easily influenced by violent video games and may have difficulty distinguishing between fantasy and reality. However, this does not mean that all children who play violent video games will exhibit aggressive behavior. It is the responsibility of parents to monitor their child's media consumption and set appropriate limits.

3. Are there any positive effects of playing violent video games?

While there is a lot of focus on the potential negative effects of violent video games, there is also evidence to suggest that they can have positive effects. For example, playing video games, including violent ones, can improve hand-eye coordination, problem-solving skills, and even social skills when played with others.

4. Can playing violent video games desensitize a person to real violence?

There is some research that suggests playing violent video games can desensitize a person to violence, as they become more accustomed to seeing it. However, this is not always the case and can vary from person to person. It is important to note that exposure to violence in media is just one factor and does not determine a person's behavior.

5. Should violent video games be banned?

The decision to ban violent video games is a controversial one and is not supported by the majority of scientific research. As with any form of media, it is important for individuals to be mindful of their consumption and for parents to monitor their children's exposure. It is also important for game developers to be responsible and ethical in the content they create.