Are there collective modes on Spin Foams or LQG?

In summary, the conversation discussed various topics related to collective excitations in random lattices and their potential connection to semiclassical spacetime in SF models. The existence of coherent states and their relationship to semiclassical spacetime was also brought up, along with the possibility of coupling conventional SM QFT to SF models. While there are some studies and theories on the subject, there is no clear derivation for this coupling yet.
MTd2
Gold Member
Like phonons?
Even if SF is a random lattice, there might be modes emerging from some space of phase space.

Look at this example from BEC quantum Chaos:

http://www.theo-phys.uni-essen.de/tp/forsch/bec.html

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly do you mean by "collective"?

I would say that coherent states are - from the perspective of elementary excitations - something like collective modes.

I am not sure if the concept of collective excitations carries over to SF, because the foam does not "vibrate", it exists. And the existence of a huge macroscopic SF is already in some sense a collective excitation on the vacuum, just as a macrosocopic coherent state of photons.

So I would say that a semiclassical spacetime is a collective mode. Therefore your question is closely related to the question if semiclassical spacetime exists in SF models.

I was thinking about the spins on nodes. Maybe quai- particles could emerge from strongly spin systems, like spin waves.

Yes,

one can split the analysis according to
- kinematics: SU(2)-allowed "spin flips"
- dynamics: propagation ...

Hmm, really? Any paper on that?

BTW, given that the lattice is random, should we expect quantum chaos?

tom.stoer said:
What exactly do you mean by "collective"?

I would say that coherent states are - from the perspective of elementary excitations - something like collective modes.

I am not sure if the concept of collective excitations carries over to SF, because the foam does not "vibrate", it exists. And the existence of a huge macroscopic SF is already in some sense a collective excitation on the vacuum, just as a macrosocopic coherent state of photons.

So I would say that a semiclassical spacetime is a collective mode. Therefore your question is closely related to the question if semiclassical spacetime exists in SF models.

Do semiclassical spacetime exist in SF models?

ensabah6 said:
Do semiclassical spacetime exist in SF models?
I have to check. There are papers regarding coherent states; I think these are rather close to semiclassical spacetime. In addition there are papers regarding the long-wavelength limit for the graviton propagator, again related to semiclassical spacetime.

tom.stoer said:
I have to check. There are papers regarding coherent states; I think these are rather close to semiclassical spacetime. In addition there are papers regarding the long-wavelength limit for the graviton propagator, again related to semiclassical spacetime.

Can conventional SM QFT be easily coupled to SF models?

ensabah6 said:
Can conventional SM QFT be easily coupled to SF models?

For "old fashioned" LQG there are derivations at least for scalars and vector particles. For fermions I have seen classical approaches studying the Holst or Nieh-Yan action, but never a full LQG / SF model. Nevertheless people are talking about LQG methods applied to SUGRA.

Honestly: nobody expects serious obstacles - not even for fermions - but there is no detailed derivation for SM+SF yet.

1. What are collective modes in Spin Foams or LQG?

Collective modes in Spin Foams or Loop Quantum Gravity (LQG) refer to the collective behavior of the fundamental building blocks of space and time, known as spin networks. These collective modes describe how the spin networks interact and evolve over time, leading to the emergence of spacetime geometry.

2. How are collective modes studied in Spin Foams or LQG?

Collective modes in Spin Foams or LQG are studied using mathematical tools, such as group field theory and spin foam models. These models allow scientists to simulate and analyze the behavior of spin networks and their collective modes, providing insight into the underlying structure of space and time.

3. What is the significance of collective modes in Spin Foams or LQG?

The study of collective modes in Spin Foams or LQG is significant as it provides a deeper understanding of the fundamental structure of spacetime at the quantum level. It also has potential implications for theories of quantum gravity and could help bridge the gap between quantum mechanics and general relativity.

4. Can the existence of collective modes be experimentally verified?

At present, there is no experimental evidence for the existence of collective modes in Spin Foams or LQG. However, scientists are working on developing experimental tests that could potentially verify the predictions of these theories and confirm the existence of collective modes.

5. How do collective modes in Spin Foams or LQG relate to other theories of quantum gravity?

Collective modes in Spin Foams or LQG are a unique aspect of these specific theories of quantum gravity. They are closely related to other concepts such as holography and entanglement, and provide a different perspective on how quantum gravity may manifest at the fundamental level.