Noncommutative Geometries from first principles

• Thread starter Orbb
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of noncommutative geometries obtained from "first principles". Examples given include models from 2+1-dim. Spinfoams and string theory. The thread is open for contributions and Roger Penrose's book "The Road to Reality" is referenced for further insights. The concept of noncommutative geometry is also briefly discussed.
Orbb
Noncommutative Geometries from "first principles"

Hi everyone,

to give a motivation for studying specific models of noncommutative geometry, I would like to start this thread as a collecting tank of models of noncommutative geometry that are obtained as a limit of some kind from 'first principles', i.e. not an ad-hoc modification of the commutator [x_i,x_j] . It would be nice, if we could collect cases by briefly stating what theory in which limit they are obtained from, provide the specific form of the coordinate commutator, and cite a reference (if possible, respectively). So, as a start:

----------------
From 2+1-dim. Spinfoams, by integrating out gravitational DOF, to arrive at the flat-space effective field theory:

[tex] [X_i, X_j]=i\hbar \kappa \epsilon_{ijk} X_k, \quad \kappa = 4\pi G [/tex]

Reference: http://arxiv.org/abs/0705.2222
----------------

As some knowledgeable people are around here, I hope some members share interest in this and contribute :wink:. For example I heard in string theory world-sheet coordinates do not commute, but I don't know much about it, i.e. which precise form in which case.

Physics news on Phys.org

This thread is "above my pay grade" but for those who are more versed than I, Roger Penrose in THE ROAD TO REALITY has some relevant discussions, especially in 33.1, where on pages 961 and 962 he gives some non commutative examples.

He attributes much non commutative geometry insight to Alan Connes and goes on to say

...in quantum mechanics one frequently encounters algebras that are non commutative...Connes and his colleagues developed the idea of non commutative geometry with a view to producing a physical theory which includes the standard model of particle physics...the potential richness of the idea of non-commutative geometry does not seem to me to be at all strongly used, so far...twistor theory has some relations to spin network theory and to Ashtekar variables and possibly non-commutative geometry...

Last edited:

Hi Naty,

Naty1 said:
This thread is "above my pay grade"

so it is for me actually :smile:, which is why I hope that others pop into contribute. Anyways, thanks for your reference. So from THE ROAD TO REALITY, p. 983, one at least has

[tex][Z^{\alpha},\overline{Z}_{\beta}]=\hbar \delta^{\alpha}_{\beta}, [/tex]

and as the twistor components Z, if I understand correctly, are actually composed of spacetime coordinates, it would be interesting to see what this means for the coordinate commutator. However I couldn't find it worked out anywhere and I don't know if one link this framework to a coordinate commutator in a sensible way.---------
Edit: As for Connes, I think the approach is a little different, as one considers a product of a commutative spin manifold M (accounting for spacetime) with a finite, noncommutative space accounting for matter content. While this as well seems very worthwile to study, we do have some threads about this, so that I would prefer to talk about scenarios in which the ordinary space/spacetime coordinates are noncommuting.

Last edited:

What is the concept of noncommutative geometry?

Noncommutative geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies spaces that do not obey the commutative property. In these spaces, the order in which operations are performed affects the result. It is a generalization of classical geometry and is used to describe noncommutative algebraic structures.

What are some real-world applications of noncommutative geometry?

Noncommutative geometry has been applied in various fields, including quantum mechanics, string theory, and statistical mechanics. It has also been used in the study of physical systems such as black holes, quarks, and atoms. Additionally, it has been used to model complex biological systems and in computer graphics for 3D object representation.

What are the main principles of noncommutative geometry?

The main principles of noncommutative geometry include the concept of a noncommutative algebra, which is a mathematical structure that does not follow the commutative property. It also involves the use of noncommutative spaces, which are spaces where the coordinates do not commute with each other. Another principle is the use of spectral triples, which are mathematical objects that encode geometric information about noncommutative spaces.

What are the advantages of using noncommutative geometry?

One advantage of using noncommutative geometry is that it allows for a more general and unified framework for studying various mathematical structures, including spaces, algebras, and operators. It also provides a way to describe and study noncommutative spaces that cannot be described by traditional geometry. Additionally, it has applications in physics and other sciences, allowing for a deeper understanding of complex systems.

What are the challenges associated with noncommutative geometry?

One of the main challenges of noncommutative geometry is its complexity and abstract nature, which can make it difficult to understand and apply. It also requires a strong mathematical background, making it inaccessible to those without advanced mathematical training. Additionally, there are still many open questions and areas of research in noncommutative geometry, making it a constantly evolving field.