Need Help Publishing My Physics Paper as an Aspiring Fiction Writer

• Thread starter d-wat
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is an aspiring fiction writer who has stumbled upon an idea that may explain the 'Big Bang', mass and gravity, and the production of photons. They have written a paper on their idea and are now seeking ways to get it published without credentials or a physics professor to oversee their work. The suggestion is made to talk to a professor and discuss their ideas, as it is unlikely that they have discovered something completely new without extensive knowledge and research in the field.
d-wat
I'm a guy who is really an aspiring fiction writer, but right now i may have stumbled upon serious stuff that may explain what caused the 'Big bang', how mass and gravity is produced, why the annihilation of matter and anti-matter produces photons, and more that may explain even dark matter. I have spent months working on this, and i have written down a nearly complete paper that also has some math in it as support.

Now my problem is how to get it published, because i really have no credentials, nor do i have a physics professor to oversee my work since i didn't take a physics class this semester.
Closest to best option for me right now would be to take a physics class next sem, but due to personal circumstances i only have less than 2 months to do something. So what i feel would be the next best thing to do is to find a publisher that would give me a higher chance of getting published without my credentials. Anyone have better ideas? or suggestions? I know its hard to take seriously an aspiring fiction writer who claims to have something 'Big', but i would really appreciate efforts to lead me to the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need any credentials to publish. You just need to have an idea, support it, cite previous work, and not make any big errors that an editor or referee might catch. If you're at a university, great - go talk to a professor. It doesn't matter if you didn't take a class with them, just see when they have office hours or stop by and ask if they have a few minutes to spare. If they don't have time, try someone else.

Yes, it is a bit hard to think you've discovered something big on your own - we hear a lot of that, on here and in unsolicited mailings from people with similar ideas. The best thing to do is to sit down and talk to a professor about your ideas; if you haven't taken much physics or astronomy, there's a good chance your ideas have been considered before and are either already accepted or thrown out due to evidence against them. Trying to explain so many things with a single idea is a big indicator that you're missing something. Remember, new ideas only replace the old if they do a better job of explaining everything than the old ideas. And you need to know what's already been done in the field to add anything new to it; that's why grad students usually have spent 8+ years working in the field before making new contributions of their own design, not a few months.

1. What factors should I consider when deciding what to do?

When trying to decide what to do, there are several factors you should consider, such as your interests, skills, goals, and available resources. It's also important to think about potential outcomes and consequences of each option.

2. How do I prioritize different options when trying to make a decision?

Prioritizing can be difficult, but one helpful method is to make a pros and cons list for each option and weigh the potential benefits and drawbacks. You can also consider which option aligns best with your values and goals.

3. Is it better to make a decision quickly or take more time to think it over?

This ultimately depends on the situation. In some cases, it's better to make a quick decision to avoid missing out on an opportunity or to prevent further delays. However, for more complex decisions, it may be beneficial to take more time to think it over and gather more information.

4. How can I make a decision without feeling overwhelmed or stressed?

Decision-making can be stressful, but there are a few strategies you can use to alleviate some of that stress. One approach is to break the decision into smaller, more manageable steps. You can also try talking it through with a trusted friend or family member, or seeking advice from a professional.

5. What should I do if I have trouble making decisions?

If you consistently struggle with decision-making, it may be helpful to identify any underlying reasons for this difficulty, such as fear of failure or perfectionism. You can also try practicing decision-making with smaller, less significant choices to build confidence and improve your skills.