Velocity profile between parallel plates with velocity dependent force

In summary, the problem involves a flow in a channel with three layers, each with different forces and boundary conditions. The equation of motion for laminar flow is used to solve for the flow profile and the continuity equation can be used to find the flow rate. The force term in the equation of motion should have units of Newton.
MichielM

Homework Statement

I have a channel of height H (y-direction) with three different layers. A bottom layer of height L where only viscous forces play a role and the lower boundary is a stationary plate, a middle layer of height L (so from L to 2L) where a force F depending linearly on the fluid velocity (F=A+B u) works in the positive x-direction, and a top layer of height H-2L (so from 2L to H) where again only viscous forces act and the upper boundary is stationary. I can assume to have laminar flow without pressure gradient

Question: calculate the flow profile ux(y) and the flow rate Q

Homework Equations

The equation of motion for laminar flow only dependent on the y-direction:
[tex]0=\mu \frac{\partial^2 ux_i}{\partial y^2}+\frac{\partial P}{\partial x}+F_i[/tex]

where subscript i denotes the layer (bottom, middle or top) and thus Fb and Ft are 0 and the pressure gradient term is always zero (and can be left out)

with boundary conditions:
[tex] ux_b(0)=0[/tex]
[tex] ux_t(H)=0[/tex]
[tex] ux_b(L)=ux_m(L)[/tex]
[tex] ux_t(2L)=ux_m(2L)[/tex]
[tex] \frac{\partial ux_b}{\partial y}(L)=\frac{\partial ux_m}{\partial y}(L)[/tex]
[tex] \frac{\partial ux_t}{\partial y}(2L)=\frac{\partial ux_m}{\partial y}(2L)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Unfortunately, I have not gotten to this part yet, because I think my equation of motion is incorrect since the units of my force term are Newton while the other terms are in Newton per cubic metre.

I have tried using [tex]\frac{F}{W_{channel} H_{channel} L_{channel}}[/tex] but then my solution contains the width of the channel in such a way that I have to know the numerical value of W to solve the flow rate, and I don't have that value.

Can anyone give me a hint on the way to approach this problem?!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your question here. I am a scientist who specializes in fluid dynamics and I would be happy to help you solve this problem.

Firstly, I would like to confirm that your equation of motion is correct. The force term, F, should indeed have units of Newton since it is a force acting in the x-direction. The other terms are in Newton per cubic metre because they represent the shear stress, which is a force per unit area.

To solve for the flow profile, you will need to use the equation of motion for each layer separately and then apply the boundary conditions to find the constants of integration. Once you have the flow profiles for each layer, you can combine them to get the overall flow profile.

For the flow rate, you can use the continuity equation, which states that the flow rate is constant throughout the channel, so you can equate the flow rates for each layer. This will allow you to solve for the overall flow rate, Q.

I hope this helps you solve the problem. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

1. What is the velocity profile between parallel plates with velocity dependent force?

The velocity profile between parallel plates with velocity dependent force refers to the distribution of velocities within a fluid between two parallel plates, where the force exerted on the fluid is dependent on its velocity. This profile is typically parabolic in shape, with the highest velocity occurring at the center of the channel and decreasing towards the walls.

2. How does the velocity dependent force affect the velocity profile?

The velocity dependent force causes the velocity profile to be non-uniform, with the highest velocities occurring near the center of the channel. This is due to the fact that the force increases as the velocity increases, causing the fluid to accelerate towards the center and decelerate towards the walls.

3. What factors influence the velocity profile between parallel plates with velocity dependent force?

The velocity profile is influenced by several factors, including the fluid viscosity, the distance between the plates, and the magnitude of the velocity dependent force. Other factors such as temperature and surface roughness can also have an impact on the velocity profile.

4. What are the applications of studying the velocity profile between parallel plates with velocity dependent force?

Understanding the velocity profile between parallel plates with velocity dependent force is important in many practical applications, such as in microfluidic devices, where precise control of fluid flow is necessary. It is also relevant in understanding the dynamics of boundary layers in fluid flow, which has implications in fields such as aerodynamics and oceanography.

5. How is the velocity profile between parallel plates with velocity dependent force experimentally determined?

The velocity profile can be experimentally determined using various techniques, such as laser Doppler velocimetry or particle image velocimetry. These methods involve measuring the velocity of small particles suspended in the fluid and using this data to construct the velocity profile. Numerical simulations and mathematical models can also be used to predict the velocity profile based on the governing equations of fluid dynamics.