Is Sodium Benzoate soluble in HCl, NaHCO3 and NaOH?

• Thread starter Iwantttt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hcl Sodium
In summary, sodium benzoate is soluble in NaHCO3 and NaOH, but it will react to form insoluble benzoic acid in HCl due to the acid's strength. Sodium benzoate, being a salt, would typically dissolve in aqueous solutions, but not in HCl due to the acid's strength.
Iwantttt
Is Sodium Benzoate soluble in HCl, NaHCO3, and NaOH?As for HCl, I'm guessing benzoic acid is formed along with NaCl so I guess sodium benzoate is soluble in HCl?
I honestly don't even know how to approach this. Thanks for the help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Iwantttt said:
Is Sodium Benzoate soluble in HCl, NaHCO3, and NaOH?

As for HCl, I'm guessing benzoic acid is formed along with NaCl so I guess sodium benzoate is soluble in HCl?
I honestly don't even know how to approach this. Thanks for the help in advance.

HCl, NaOH and NaHCO3 are aqueous solutions. What is sodium benzoate? key part 'oate'. What do most salts do in aqueous solutions?

Last edited:
The previous reply would be correct but HCl is a stronger acid than benzoic acid, so in HCl, sodium benzoate would react to form benzoic acid, which is insoluble in acidic aqueous solution. I'm pretty sure this is the right way to think about it, but not 100% sure.

You are right, that's what gabriels-horn was hinting at.

I think gabriel was implying that since sodium benzoate is a salt, it would dissolve in an aqueous solution. But I don't think that would happen in HCl. Maybe I'm misinterpreting something though.

1. Is Sodium Benzoate soluble in HCl?

Yes, Sodium Benzoate is soluble in HCl. When Sodium Benzoate is added to HCl, it reacts to form Benzoic Acid, which is highly soluble in water.

2. Is Sodium Benzoate soluble in NaHCO3?

No, Sodium Benzoate is not soluble in NaHCO3. When Sodium Benzoate is added to NaHCO3, it does not react and remains insoluble.

3. Is Sodium Benzoate soluble in NaOH?

Yes, Sodium Benzoate is soluble in NaOH. When Sodium Benzoate is added to NaOH, it reacts to form Sodium Benzoate salt, which is highly soluble in water.

4. What happens when Sodium Benzoate is added to HCl?

When Sodium Benzoate is added to HCl, it reacts to form Benzoic Acid, which is highly soluble in water. This reaction is commonly used in food preservation to lower the pH and inhibit bacterial growth.

5. Why is it important to know the solubility of Sodium Benzoate in different solutions?

Knowing the solubility of Sodium Benzoate in different solutions is important because it determines its effectiveness in different applications. For example, in food preservation, Sodium Benzoate needs to be soluble in water to effectively lower the pH and inhibit bacterial growth. In contrast, for certain drug formulations, it may be desirable for Sodium Benzoate to be insoluble in certain solutions to prevent interactions with other ingredients.