Fix Circuit Board: No Expertise Needed

In summary, the clippers had a blown resistor, which may or may not have been the root cause of the problem. The clippers also had a power handling level of a 1/4 watt resistor, which may not have been able to handle the power used by the clippers.
120rob
(incase you are wondering I am not educated but have small mechanical know how) but I don't fully know how circuits behave. I have these hair clippers that seemed to blow a resister. It is a grey tube with a green stipe on one end and a gold stripe on the other. It is difinitely fried. I must get my hair clippers working again (without the purchase of a whole new kit). So do you think you can help me!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi 120Rob
Please tell us more:
what voltage are the clippers run at?
did a nasty smell come from the clippers, hot and rich and toxic-smelling?
Please tell us how the clippers died, and perhaps we can tell you what may have gone wrong.

Good luck

Last edited:
On the back of the razor it says,
120v AC 60Hz 5W
And yes, rich toxic smell came from razor when it quit working. I think I might have gotten it wet on the inside of the clippers.

Couple of things: First, the blown resistor may or may not be the root cause problem. It's possible that it sacrificed itself to protect whatever the true problem source was. So, you may replace this and maybe not fix the problem.

There should be more stripes on the resistor. These may be not identifiable due to scorch marks. The first green means "2". the last gold bar means "+/- 10%" and is the tolerance for the accuracy of the resistor value. You need two more bars from the first green end which are the next value for resistor (e.g. another green would, with the first then mean 22) and the next bar is 'power of ten' (which makes it a 2.2 ohm, or 22, or 2.2Kohm, etc. resistor). You can find the color code list with a simple web search.

Then there is the power handling level of the resistor (e.g. 1/4 watt, 1/2 watt, etc.). Look in Radio Shack (what few parts remain) for something of similar physical size and read off the wattage level for guidance.

1. How can I fix a circuit board if I have no expertise?

Fixing a circuit board without expertise may seem daunting, but it is possible with the right tools and knowledge. First, you will need to identify the issue with the circuit board. This could be a broken component, loose connection, or a damaged trace. Once you have identified the issue, you can research online for tutorials or guides specific to your circuit board model. You can also purchase a basic electronics repair kit to help you with the repairs.

2. Can I fix a circuit board without any prior knowledge of electronics?

Yes, it is possible to fix a circuit board without prior knowledge of electronics. However, it may take some time and patience to understand the basic principles of circuitry and how components work. You can start by watching tutorials or reading online guides to familiarize yourself with the terminology and techniques used in circuit board repair.

3. What tools do I need to fix a circuit board?

The tools you will need to fix a circuit board may vary depending on the issue and your specific circuit board model. However, some basic tools that are commonly used in circuit board repair include a soldering iron, solder, desoldering pump, multimeter, and wire cutters. You can also purchase a basic electronics repair kit that includes most of these tools.

4. How do I know if the circuit board is beyond repair?

In some cases, a circuit board may be beyond repair due to severe damage or if the issue is with a crucial component that cannot be replaced. To determine if your circuit board is beyond repair, you can perform a visual inspection to identify any significant damage, or use a multimeter to check for continuity and voltage levels. If the damage is too severe or the board cannot be fixed, it may be more cost-effective to replace it.

5. Can I fix a circuit board if it is still under warranty?

If your circuit board is still under warranty, it is best to contact the manufacturer or a certified repair technician for assistance. Attempting to fix the circuit board yourself may void the warranty, and the manufacturer may not provide a replacement or repair if they determine that the damage was caused by improper handling or repair attempts.