Solving non-homogeneous differential equation with variable coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper written by the speaker that proposes a method for solving linear non-homogeneous ordinary differential equations with variable coefficients using the operator method. The method involves factoring the differential operator into linear factors and then using repeated integration to find the solutions. The speaker acknowledges that this method may not be original and suggests reading other resources on the topic. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of finding a fundamental solution and the comparison of this method to reduction of order. Overall, the proposed method offers an alternative approach to solving these types of equations.
ross_tang
Here is a paper written by me:

http://www.voofie.com/content/84/solving-linear-non-homogeneous-ordinary-differential-equation-with-variable-coefficients-with-operat/"

Basically, it uses operator method to solve linear non-homogeneous ordinary differential equation with variable coefficients. If you have a differential operator of order n, and you know a fundamental solution to the operator, you can use my method to factorize a linear factor out of the differential operator. By repeating the process, you can factorize the operator totally, and solving the equation is a matter of repeated integration only. (It doesn't teach you how to find a fundamental solution though. It is done probably by guessing.)

I am not sure if this method is original. I just think of it a few days ago. People may have used it for a long time. But I can't find anything similar from the web.

If you don't know what is operator method, please read this tutorial:

http://www.voofie.com/content/6/introduction-to-differential-equation-and-solving-linear-differential-equations-using-operator-metho/"

At last, you may want to read other differential equations related questions, discussions, articles and links from this http://www.voofie.com/concept/Ordinary_differential_equation/" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So basically, your claim is that if you already know all the solutions, then you can find the solutions...

I didn't go through the detailed algebra, but to me it smells like "reduction of order". ross_tang, you should look this up in any ode book to see if your approach is really any different from the standard approach.

Of course, Ben Niehoff is right that the "if we can find a fundamental solution to the differential operator ..." step in the method is the really hard part. One might hope that once you guess a solution to the nth order equation that the resulting n-1 order equation would be even easier to guess a solution to, but I expect there are counterexamples to that hope.

jason

Ben Niehoff said:
So basically, your claim is that if you already know all the solutions, then you can find the solutions...

It is not you know all solutions. You know one solution of the homogeneous equation of order n, and can reduce the equation to n-1 order. And now, you just need to find a solution to the n-1 order equation. It may be simpler, but it may be more difficult too.

@jasonRF,
You may say my method is something like "reduction of order", but it is different. In reduction of order, you are finding all fundamental solution to the original homogeneous equation. After you do that, you need to use method of variation of parameters to obtain the particular solution.

In my method, I am reducing the differential operator into products of linear factors. Once you have done that, you can find the particular solution and all fundamental solutions to the non-homogeneous equation at once by applying the formula of integrating factor.

Finally, it is true that the most difficult part is finding any particular solution. I just want to give an alternative to method of variation of parameters and reduction of order, into factorization of operator. I think it is a much more neat method.

In short, my method is just like long division in factorizing polynomial of degree n. Once you know a root of the polynomial equation, you can use long division to reduce it to a linear factor multiply by a polynomial of degree n-1. It is proved that we can't have analytic formula for degree n>=5. Therefore, if we can guess one of the root, we can reduce its degree. But for the case of linear differential equation, we resort to guessing even for 2nd order only.

Thank you for sharing your paper and method for solving non-homogeneous differential equations with variable coefficients. Your approach using the operator method is interesting and may be helpful for other researchers and students studying differential equations. It is always exciting to see new methods and techniques being developed in the field of mathematics.

I am also glad that you have provided a tutorial for those who may not be familiar with the operator method. This will make your paper more accessible to a wider audience.

As for the originality of your method, it is always important to do thorough research and cite any previous work that may have used a similar approach. However, even if your method has been used before, your paper can still contribute to the field by providing a clear and detailed explanation of the operator method for solving non-homogeneous differential equations with variable coefficients.

Thank you for sharing your paper and I encourage you to continue exploring and developing new methods for solving differential equations.

1. What is a non-homogeneous differential equation?

A non-homogeneous differential equation is a type of differential equation where the dependent variable is not proportional to its derivatives. In other words, it includes a function or variable on the right side of the equation, making it non-homogeneous.

2. What are variable coefficients in a non-homogeneous differential equation?

Variable coefficients refer to the coefficients of the derivatives in a non-homogeneous differential equation that are not constant, but instead vary with the independent variable. This adds complexity to the equation and makes it more difficult to solve.

3. What is the process for solving a non-homogeneous differential equation with variable coefficients?

The general process for solving a non-homogeneous differential equation with variable coefficients is to first find the complementary function by setting the variable coefficients to zero. Then, use the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters to find the particular solution. Finally, combine the two solutions to get the general solution.

4. What is the difference between the method of undetermined coefficients and variation of parameters?

The method of undetermined coefficients involves guessing a particular solution based on the form of the non-homogeneous part of the equation. This method is only applicable for certain types of non-homogeneous terms, such as polynomials or trigonometric functions. Variation of parameters, on the other hand, involves finding a particular solution by integrating a function with undetermined coefficients. This method is more general and can be used for any type of non-homogeneous term.

5. Are there any tricks or shortcuts for solving non-homogeneous differential equations with variable coefficients?

While there are no shortcuts for solving these types of equations, there are some strategies that can make the process easier. These include simplifying the equation as much as possible, using symmetry to reduce the number of terms, and trying different methods (such as undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters) to see which one is more effective for a particular equation.