Protein structure, saccharides and fats

In summary, the conversation discusses protein structure, the difference between polysaccharides and disaccharides, and the definition of saturated and unsaturated fats. It is confirmed that all proteins have at least three levels of structure and that a quaternary structure also includes primary, secondary, and tertiary structures. The number of monosaccharides required for a polysaccharide is generally considered to be three or more, and the presence of a double bonded carbon in a fat makes it unsaturated. The speaker also advises not to worry too much about the precise limits of these terms, but to focus on understanding their usage in biochemistry.
dudeman2491
Hi,
Just need to clear up any misunderstanding about protein structure. Do all proteins have at least three levels of structure? If a protein has a quaternary structure, does it mean it also has primary, secondary and tertiary structures?

I was wondering what separates a polysaccharide from a disaccharide? What number is the minimum amount of monosaccharides that make a polysaccharide.

My last question is in regards to saturated and unsaturated fats. If i have two saturated fatty acids and one unsaturated fatty acid to combine with glycerol to make a fat. Is the resulting fat unsaturated because it can still incorporate more hydrogen? Is it true that if there is a double bonded carbon in the fat, it is considered unsaturated?

Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
dudeman2491 said:
Hi,
Just need to clear up any misunderstanding about protein structure. Do all proteins have at Hi,
Just need to clear up any misunderstanding about protein structure. Do all proteins have at least three levels of structure? If a protein has a quaternary structure, does it mean it also has primary, secondary and tertiary structures?
Yes. Quaternary structure just means the way more than one polypeptide chain is associated together.
dudeman2491 said:
I was wondering what separates a polysaccharides from a disaccharide?
If you were talking in general, e.g. about a mixture of all lengths you could call them all polysaccharides if they are more than two or even more than one Usually polysaccharide suggests something quite large though. With just a moderate number, "a few" they tend to be called oligosaccharides. Wiki gives 3-10. Same thing for oligo/poly peptides. oligo/poly nucleotides.

dudeman2491 said:
My last question is in regards to saturated and unsaturated fats. If i have two saturated fatty acids and one unsaturated fatty acid to combine with glycerol to make a fat. Is the resulting fat unsaturated because it can still incorporate more hydrogen? Is it true that if there is a double bonded carbon in the fat, it is considered unsaturated?

Thanks

Yes.

And if it isn't it ought to!

Do not worry too much about the precise limits of these terms which are not quite rigid. Just read the biochemistry and see how they are used.

1. What is the primary structure of proteins?

The primary structure of a protein refers to the linear sequence of amino acids that make up the protein. This sequence is determined by the genetic code and is unique to each protein.

2. How do saccharides differ from other carbohydrates?

Saccharides, also known as sugars, are a type of carbohydrate that are composed of single sugar molecules or multiple sugar molecules linked together. They differ from other carbohydrates in their molecular structure and function in the body.

3. What is the role of fats in our bodies?

Fats, also known as lipids, play several important roles in our bodies. They serve as a source of energy, help to insulate and protect organs, and aid in the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins.

4. What is the secondary structure of proteins?

The secondary structure of a protein refers to the folding and coiling of the protein chain into specific shapes, such as alpha helices and beta sheets. This structure is stabilized by hydrogen bonds between different parts of the protein chain.

5. How are saccharides classified?

Saccharides are classified based on the number of sugar molecules they contain and the type of bonds between these molecules. Monosaccharides, disaccharides, and polysaccharides are the three main classifications of saccharides.