Exploring Career Change: Comp Science or...?

• Thread starter Poker-face
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, Ernest G is considering a career change and is interested in technology, math, and science. He is considering a Masters Program in Computational Science and is also open to other degrees in these fields. He has heard of similar degrees and is interested in the job market for these fields. He is not opposed to making a drastic career change and is confident in his math abilities.
Poker-face
Comp Science or ...?

Hello all, I am 31 years old, and am going through a career change. I would appreciate some advice. I have a B.A. in Political Science that I have never used. I have owned and operated my own Construction Company in New Jersey for the last 7 years. Due to the collapse of the new home industry I find myself out of business and pondering what I want to do with the next 30 years of my life. I feel as though I have a blank page, and can write what ever story I want. I am definitely not interested in staying in the construction industry.

I enterntained furthering the degree I already have, but find myself fascinated by Technology, Math and Science. The school I graduated from offers a Masters Program in Computational Science. For those of you that are like me and have never heard of this degree before, create models that predict behaviors using Math and powerfull computers. The director of the program said that I would need at most 2 years of Pre-req's to be ommited into the program. (Maybe less)

My questions are:
1. Does anyone have this degree and if so how is the jon market?

2. Do you think I am crazy for make such a drastic career, and academic change?

3. What other degrees do you recomened in my situation?

Note. I am pretty strong in Math, I took Pre- Calculus this summer and got the highest grade in the class.

Thanks,

Ernest G

Physics news on Phys.org

1) Yes, I have heard of degrees similar to that. I imagine this degree will involve elements of computer science and applied math, especially computational math. I can't say what the job market is like, but if this degree is similar to computer science the job prospects will probably be pretty good, especially if you live in an area of the country that has a lot of technology jobs (for example, parts of the Northeast).

2) I don't think it's too drastic a change. It's not like you're giving up a lucrative career on a whim to pursue this degree-- the job prospects in your original field aren't good. Not exactly the same situation, but my dad moved to the U.S. from another country when he was in his 30s. He was a physicist in his country, but in the U.S. he has become a successful software engineer. For present-day Americans that wouldn't be such a huge career change, but when he was young he knew next to nothing about computers or programming, because 1) this was 20 years ago 2) computer technology hadn't impacted his country yet. In the U.S. he lived on welfare and taught himself programming from scratch using a computer in the public library. Now he makes 100k+. So, my point is that sometimes people have to make career changes, and it can turn out great if you put in the effort and get a little lucky.

3) That sounds like a reasonable degree, especially since you are well on your way to having all the prerequisites, and you already have a college degree. You could also consider computer science degrees, I guess.

1. What are the main differences between a career in computer science and a career in [other field]?

The main difference between a career in computer science and a career in [other field] is the focus of the work. Computer science involves designing, creating, and maintaining computer software and systems, while [other field] may involve a wide range of industries and job responsibilities. Additionally, computer science careers tend to have a strong emphasis on technical skills and problem-solving, while [other field] careers may require a broader set of skills and knowledge.

2. What skills are necessary for a successful career in computer science?

Some key skills for a successful career in computer science include strong problem-solving abilities, proficiency in programming languages, attention to detail, and the ability to adapt to new technologies and methods. Additionally, strong communication skills and the ability to work well in a team are important for collaborating on projects and effectively communicating ideas and solutions.

3. What types of job opportunities are available in the field of computer science?

There are a wide variety of job opportunities available in computer science, including software developer, database administrator, network systems administrator, data scientist, and many more. The field continues to grow and evolve, so there are constantly new roles and specializations emerging.

4. Is a degree in computer science necessary for a career in the field?

While a degree in computer science can provide a strong foundation and knowledge in the field, it is not always necessary for a career in computer science. Many employers value relevant experience and skills, and there are also alternative education options such as coding bootcamps or online courses that can provide the necessary knowledge and skills for a career in computer science.

5. What are some potential challenges or drawbacks of a career in computer science?

Some potential challenges of a career in computer science may include a fast-paced and constantly changing work environment, long hours and tight deadlines, and the need to continuously learn and adapt to new technologies and methods. Additionally, there may be a high level of competition for job opportunities, and the field can be male-dominated, which may present challenges for women and underrepresented groups.