Can overlapping divergences be disentangled ?

• Thread starter zetafunction
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Overlapping
In summary, the conversation discusses how to disentangle an overlapping divergence in a given integral. The suggested approaches include using sector decomposition and modifying the parametric BPH-procedure. References and a quick analytic regularization method are also provided. A change of variables to n-polar coordinates is also mentioned.
zetafunction
given an overlapping divergence

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{0}^{\infty}dxdy \frac{xy}{xy+1+x} [/tex]

what terms must i add and substract in order to get it finite

can an overlapping divergence be disentangled and expressed as a product of one loop divergent integrals ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi zetafunction,

Sector decomposition gives a recursive approach to disentangling overlapping divergences.
For a more direct approach you could modify the parametric BPH-procedure in the final reference below.

Sector decomposition:
By making the change of variables x->(1-x)/x and sim for y, you can make the integrals go from 0 to 1 with the entangled divergence at x=y=0.
Then, following the first example in the Heinrich paper below and splitting the integral into a x > y = t x part and a y > x = t y part, you can disentangle the divergences.
You can do the t-integral first, using a BPH-like Taylor series subtraction at t=0 to get a finite result for the first integral. Then in the x>y sector, the second integral is divergent at x=1. Another BPH subtraction gives a final result.

Following this procedure I find the integral = 2. Of course, this is completely subtraction dependent. To find what the subtractions from the original integrand are you can reverse the procedure. (Although I have to admit, I struggled with that last bit)
I can email you my Mathematica notebook if you wish.

I've put a couple of references below. The final one is a nice explanation/proof of BPH procedure in parametric space - something that I found very useful last year.

G. Heinrich, "Sector Decomposition," International Journal of Modern Physics A, vol. 23, 2008, p. 1457.

A.V. Smirnov and V.A. Smirnov, "Hepp and Speer Sectors within Modern Strategies of Sector Decomposition," Strategies, 2008.

M.C. Bergère and J.B. Zuber, "Renormalization of Feynman amplitudes and parametric integral representation," Communications in Mathematical Physics, vol. 35, 1974, pp. 113-140.

More references at http://www.mendeley.com/research-papers/collections/15779/FeynmanIntegrals/

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, a quick analytic regularization, multiplying the integrand by f(a)x^a gives
[tex]\frac{f(a) (\pi \csc (\pi a))}{a^2+a}+O(a) = \frac{1}{a^2}+\frac{f'(0)-1}{a}+\left(\frac{f''(0)}{2}-f'(0)+\frac{\pi ^2}{6}+1\right)+O\left(a\right)[/tex]

thanks SImon..

by the way by using a change of variable (if we are in R^{n} ) to n-polar coordinates so the new integral depend on the modulus r and the angles so

[tex] \int_{\Omega}\int_{0}^{\infty} f(r, \Omega _{í} )r^{n-1}dr [/tex]

then if the divergent is just an ultraviolet one , integration over angles let us a divergent integral of the form [tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} g(r) r^{n-1}dr [/tex]

for some g(r)

1. Can overlapping divergences be disentangled?

Yes, overlapping divergences can be disentangled using various methods and techniques such as phylogenetic analyses, molecular dating, and statistical models.

2. What are the challenges in disentangling overlapping divergences?

The main challenge in disentangling overlapping divergences is the complexity of the evolutionary processes that lead to overlapping divergences. This can include hybridization, incomplete lineage sorting, and introgression.

3. How can phylogenetic analyses help in disentangling overlapping divergences?

Phylogenetic analyses use genetic data to reconstruct the evolutionary relationships between species. By examining the patterns of genetic variation and shared ancestry, phylogenetic analyses can help identify and differentiate between overlapping divergences.

4. What is the role of molecular dating in disentangling overlapping divergences?

Molecular dating uses genetic data and evolutionary models to estimate the timing of divergences between species. By comparing the estimated divergence times, researchers can determine if overlapping divergences occurred at different times or if they occurred simultaneously.

5. Can statistical models help in disentangling overlapping divergences?

Yes, statistical models can be used to test different hypotheses about the evolutionary processes that lead to overlapping divergences. These models can help determine the relative contributions of different mechanisms, such as hybridization and incomplete lineage sorting, in shaping genetic patterns in overlapping divergences.