Unraveling the Mystery of Disappearing Electrons: What You Need to Know

• Thread starter JordanGo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary, an electron can disappear and return at any given moment, and this is not how we usually think of an electron.
JordanGo
I just found out that electrons can disappear and return at any giving moment, can someone clarify that for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
JordanGo said:
I just found out that electrons can disappear and return at any giving moment, can someone clarify that for me?

Where did you find this?

Here's an important advice for newbies on here. When you say "Oh, I heard from such-and-such" or "I found that...", cite your sources explicitly! If you neglect to do that, it is extremely difficult for us to (i) double check if your sources are valid and not some dubious crackpottery (ii) if you read the source correctly or (iii) if you've misinterpreted the source.

Case in point is this one. An "electron" just simply doesn't appear and disappear, unless we're talking about a number of "special" circumstances, such as virtual electrons, quasiparticles, etc. So if we answer "yes" to the question above, it gives a horribly misleading impression that this phenomenon occurs regularly and that's how we view an electron!

You must give your sources when you expect us to address what you have learned. We simply have no ability to read your minds to know what you actually heard/read/etc.

Zz.

JordanGo said:

As far as I know, it is not possible to prove that an electron in an atomic orbital actually follows a path (from the right of the nucleus to the left, for instance). In the case that it didn't follow a path, what is the other option?

Under normal circumstances could you not just resort to the uncertainty principal?

NetMage said:
Under normal circumstances could you not just resort to the uncertainty principal?

What is "normal"? In your common electric circuit, the "normal" way is to treat those electrons as a classical free particle gas! That's how you got your Ohm's law! So that's "normal".

Zz.

1. What is the disappearing electron phenomenon?

The disappearing electron phenomenon refers to the sudden and unexplainable loss of electrons from an atom's outer shell, leading to a decrease in an atom's overall charge.

2. What causes electrons to disappear?

The exact cause of disappearing electrons is still unknown, but it is believed to be a result of interactions between electrons and other particles, such as neutrinos or dark matter.

3. How does the disappearance of electrons affect matter?

The disappearance of electrons can have a range of effects on matter, depending on the specific circumstances. In some cases, it can lead to changes in an atom's chemical properties or even cause chemical reactions to occur. In other cases, it can result in the destabilization of atoms and molecules, leading to the breakdown of matter.

4. Are there any potential benefits to understanding disappearing electrons?

Yes, understanding disappearing electrons can have significant benefits in various fields, including chemistry, physics, and materials science. It can also lead to new technological advancements and help us better comprehend the fundamental laws of the universe.

5. What research is being done to unravel the mystery of disappearing electrons?

Scientists are using a variety of methods, such as particle accelerators, detectors, and computer simulations, to study the phenomenon of disappearing electrons. They are also conducting experiments to observe and measure the behavior of electrons under different conditions in hopes of gaining a better understanding of this mysterious phenomenon.