Closed, bounded but not compact

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the metric space X=[0,infinity) is closed, bounded, but not compact. The first solution proposed involves using Cauchy sequences, but it is not clear how to write it algebraically. The conversation then suggests finding a sequence of points with their own open covers that does not have a finite subcover. Finally, the concept of compactness with regard to subsequences is mentioned, but it is also not clear how to use it in this situation. The conversation also points out that the sets [0,n) are not open in this metric.
bender2

Homework Statement

let |e-x-e-y| be a metric, x,y over R.
let X=[0,infinity) be a metric space.
prove that X is closed, bounded but not compact.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

there is no problem for me to show that X is closed and bounded. but how do I prove it's not compact?
I assume it must be done with the use of Cauchy sequence. if xn is Cauchy but it's not convergent then X is not complete and then it's not compact. but how do I right it down in algebraical form?

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about trying to find a sequence of points each of which has its own open cover so that no finite subcover exists?

i'm afraid i don't know how to do it. can you show me please?

and is the way with Cauchy sequence correct?

You can use the form of compactness with regard to subsequences. For every sequence x_{n} in the metric space then there is a convergent subsequence.

Normally one would prove that [itex][0, \infty)[/itex], with the usual metric, is not compact, directly from the definition, "every open cover contains a finite subcover", by looking at the "open cover" [itex]U_n= [0, n)[/itex]. Are those sets open in this metric?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Halls means [0,n).

Yes, I did. Thanks. I will edit it.

1. What does it mean for a set to be "closed, bounded but not compact"?

"Closed, bounded but not compact" is a term used to describe a set in mathematics. It means that the set is closed, meaning it contains all of its boundary points, and it is also bounded, meaning that all of the elements in the set fall within a certain range. However, the set is not compact, which means that it does not satisfy the definition of compactness, a property that guarantees the existence of a finite subcover for any open cover of the set.

2. Can you provide an example of a set that is "closed, bounded but not compact"?

Yes, the set [0,1) is an example of a set that is "closed, bounded but not compact". It is closed because it contains its boundary point 1, it is bounded because all of its elements fall within the range of [0,1), but it is not compact because it does not have a finite subcover for every open cover.

3. How does the property of compactness differ from that of closed and bounded?

The property of compactness is a stronger condition than closed and bounded. A set that is compact must also be closed and bounded, but the reverse is not necessarily true. A set can be closed and bounded but not compact, as seen in the example of [0,1).

4. Are all closed, bounded sets also compact?

No, not all closed, bounded sets are compact. While a set that is compact must also be closed and bounded, a set can be closed and bounded but not compact. This is because compactness requires the existence of a finite subcover for every open cover, which may not be true for all closed, bounded sets.

5. How is the concept of "closed, bounded but not compact" relevant in mathematics?

The concept of "closed, bounded but not compact" is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the limitations of certain sets. It also provides a counterexample to the idea that all closed, bounded sets are compact, highlighting the importance of the property of compactness in mathematical analysis. Additionally, this concept is relevant in various fields such as topology, functional analysis, and measure theory.