How Does the Dieterici Equation of State Compare to Reality?

In summary, the Dieterici equation of state can be used to establish a relationship between the critical constants (p_c, V_c, T_c) and the parameters (a, b). By using the natural logarithm of both sides and differentiating at the critical point, it can be shown that Z_c = 2e^-2 and a reduced Dieterici equation of state can be derived. When compared to Van der Waals' equation, the Dieterici equation more accurately approximates reality.
Aeon
[SOLVED]Dieterici equation of state

Homework Statement

Establish the relationship between the critical constants and the parameters of Dieterici equation of state.
Show that [tex]Z_c[/tex][tex]=2e^{-2}[/tex] and deduce the reduced Dieterici equation of state.
Compare the predicted [tex]Z_c[/tex] from both Dieterici's and Van der Waals' equations. Which best approximates reality?

Homework Equations

http://img299.imageshack.us/i/dieterici.png/

The Attempt at a Solution

I have substituted p with [tex]p_c[/tex] and then tried to work my way around proving that the first and second partial derivatives relative to p evaluate to 0.

I have failed.

I know that at the critical point, any pair of first and second derivatives will evaluate to 0, since the critical point is an inflexion point. But other than that... I'm pretty much powerless.

Therefore, my question is: would someone please direct me so that I can establish the relationship between the critical constants ([tex]p_c, V_c, T_c[/tex]) and the parameters (a,b) of the Dieterici equation of state please?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I got it.

The Dieterici equation of state can be differentiated as it is, but it's more convenient to change its form before differentiating it. To help with differentiation, I used the natural logarithm of both sides.

I differentiated the log() form of the equation, twice. At the critical point (point of inflexion), [tex]\frac{\partial ln(p)}{\partial V_m} = 0[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial^2 ln(p)}{\partial V_m^2} = 0[/tex]. You can then divide the first partial derivative by the second and everything clears up. Simple transformations then enable you to isolate [tex]V_c[/tex] (not [tex]V_m[/tex] since you're evaluating at the critical point).

1. What is the Dieterici equation of state?

The Dieterici equation of state is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of gases at various pressures and temperatures. It takes into account the intermolecular forces between gas molecules to better predict their properties.

2. Who developed the Dieterici equation of state?

The Dieterici equation of state was developed by German physicist and chemist Johannes Dieterici in 1880.

3. How does the Dieterici equation of state differ from other equations of state?

The Dieterici equation of state differs from other equations of state by incorporating an additional parameter, known as the Dieterici constant, to account for the attractive forces between gas molecules. This allows for a more accurate representation of gas behavior at high pressures.

4. What are the limitations of the Dieterici equation of state?

The Dieterici equation of state is most accurate for gases with small molecules and low molecular weights. It also does not account for the effects of temperature on intermolecular forces, which can limit its accuracy at very high or very low temperatures.

5. How is the Dieterici equation of state used in scientific research?

The Dieterici equation of state is commonly used in thermodynamics and chemical engineering research to model gas behavior in various industrial processes, such as in the production of liquefied natural gas and compressed air systems. It is also used in the study of phase transitions and the behavior of gases in extreme conditions, such as in space or in high-pressure environments.