Magnetic dipole above a superconductor.

In summary, a magnetic dipole above a superconductor describes the interaction between a magnetic field and a superconductor, resulting in the creation of a magnetic dipole moment. The Meissner effect is the expulsion of all magnetic fields from a superconductor's interior, caused by the process of diamagnetism. This expulsion of magnetic fields is significant because it showcases the strong diamagnetic properties of superconductors, which can be utilized for levitation and other purposes. The direction of the magnetic dipole above a superconductor cannot be reversed due to the Meissner effect.
DylanG

Homework Statement

Consider a magnet floating over a large piece of superconductor. Treat
the magnet as a perfect dipole m floating a distance h from the surface
of the superconductor, which we take to be the x–y plane. The dipole is
oriented at an angle of θ to the z-axis, and without loss of generality we
take it to lie in the y–z plane (m_x = 0).
(a) First, derive an expression for the magnetic field at the surface of the
superconductor due to the dipole.
Hint: start with the expression for the field of a dipole m positioned
at the origin.
Bdip(r) = (μ0/(4πr3))(3([tex]\hat{r}[/tex])[tex]\hat{r}[/tex]-m)

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with r = (0,0,-h) , [tex]\hat{r}[/tex] = mcosθ, m = (0, -msinθ, -mcosθ)

After evaluating I got,

B = (μ0m/(4πh3))(0,sinθ,-2cosθ)

I suspect that this is incorrect however as I really can't get my head around the coordinate system. I tried to draw it but I don't even really know what the dipole is supposed to look like or where things are positioned relative to the origin in the coordinate system.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help me out with the correct expression for the magnetic field at the surface of the superconductor due to the dipole?

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist who specializes in electromagnetism and I would be happy to help you with this problem.

Based on the information provided, I believe your attempt at the solution is partially correct. However, there are a few things that need to be clarified in order to arrive at the correct expression for the magnetic field.

Firstly, in the expression for the magnetic field of a dipole, the vector r represents the position vector of the point where the field is being calculated, not the position of the dipole itself. In this case, since we are interested in the magnetic field at the surface of the superconductor, the position vector should be (x, y, 0).

Secondly, the dipole moment m is a vector quantity and should be expressed as (mx, my, mz). In this case, since the dipole is oriented at an angle of θ to the z-axis and is in the y-z plane, the dipole moment would be m = (0, -msinθ, -mcosθ).

Taking these corrections into account, the correct expression for the magnetic field at the surface of the superconductor would be:

B = (μ0m/(4πh^3))[(3xmsinθ)/(x^2 + y^2 + h^2)^(3/2), (3ymcosθ)/(x^2 + y^2 + h^2)^(3/2), -(3hmsinθ)/(x^2 + y^2 + h^2)^(3/2)]

I hope this helps clarify the solution for you. If you have any further questions or need more assistance, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is a magnetic dipole above a superconductor?

A magnetic dipole above a superconductor refers to the interaction between a magnetic field and a superconductor, which causes the superconductor to expel the magnetic field and create a magnetic dipole moment.

2. What is the Meissner effect?

The Meissner effect is the phenomenon where a superconductor expels all magnetic fields from its interior, making it appear as if the magnetic field is being repelled.

3. How does a superconductor expel magnetic fields?

A superconductor expels magnetic fields through the process of diamagnetism, where the material creates an opposing magnetic field to cancel out the external magnetic field.

4. What is the significance of the magnetic dipole above a superconductor?

The magnetic dipole above a superconductor is significant because it demonstrates the strong diamagnetic properties of superconductors, which can be used for levitation and other applications.

5. Can a magnetic dipole above a superconductor be reversed?

No, the magnetic dipole above a superconductor cannot be reversed. The Meissner effect ensures that the superconductor will always expel the magnetic field, regardless of its direction.