Calculating Accelaration Due to Gravity for Year 10 Student

In summary, Sabrina is a high school student who is interested in physics and is struggling with a homework question about acceleration due to gravity in imperial units. She asks for help and someone suggests converting meters to feet and using logical reasoning to find the answer. Sabrina shares her solution of 32.373 and asks for feedback on the number of significant figures.
sabrina123
I am in year 10 and I am very interested in physics, but I came up researching on this topic of acceleration due to gravity, but when I looked this question 'accelaration due to gravity is 9.81ms-2. what is the value in imperial units (ft.s-2)' I really wanted to work it out so badly. Could anyone possibly help me how to work this out, and what is the value?

I totally appreciate for your support :).

Regards

Sabrina

Physics news on Phys.org
Find out how many feet are in one meter. This will help you.

I really don't understand how to do it :(. I appreciate if you could show me the steps. Thank you so much.

Regards

Sabrina

Sure. So you know that the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 meters per second squared. A quick Google search also reveals that there are about 3.28 feet in one meter. Now think logically: If an object travels one meter, it will have traveled 3.28 feet. If an object travels two meters, it will have traveled 6.56 feet (2 times 3.28). Likewise, if an object travels 9.8 meters (per some unit, in this case seconds squared; it really doesn't matter), it will travel about 32.2 feet (9.8 times 3.38) per the same unit. So the acceleration due to gravity in Imperial Units is about 32.2 feet per second squared.

I hope this was understandable and not too convoluted.

This is a typical homework problem. Post your method of solution and we will tell you if it is correct or not.

the method solution i wrote and kind of worked out is 32.373 :$. is that correct?

How many significant figures should you keep?

1. What is acceleration due to gravity?

Acceleration due to gravity, also known as gravitational acceleration, is the acceleration experienced by objects when they are in a gravitational field. It is a measure of the rate at which an object's velocity changes due to the force of gravity.

2. How is acceleration due to gravity calculated?

Acceleration due to gravity can be calculated using the formula g = G * M / r^2, where g is the acceleration due to gravity, G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object, and r is the distance between the two objects.

3. What is the value of acceleration due to gravity on Earth?

The value of acceleration due to gravity on Earth is approximately 9.8 m/s^2. This value can vary slightly depending on location and altitude.

4. How does mass affect the acceleration due to gravity?

Mass does not directly affect the acceleration due to gravity. However, the greater the mass of an object, the greater the force of gravity it experiences, resulting in a larger acceleration due to gravity.

5. Why does acceleration due to gravity have a negative value?

Acceleration due to gravity is typically represented as a negative value because it is directed towards the center of the Earth. This direction is considered negative in physics, as it is in the opposite direction of a positive value on a coordinate axis.