Proving E must exceed the min potential

• Thread starter emob2p
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, The problem is to show that E must exceed the minimum value of V(x) for all normalizable solutions to the Schroedinger equation. The speaker tried using the normalization condition and taking derivatives, but could not find a contradiction. They then suggest starting from the time independent schroedinger equation and using algebra to compare both sides. They also provide a reasoning for why E must be greater than V in order for the solution to be normalizable.
emob2p
I've come across Problem 2.2 out of Griffiths' Intro to Quantum book second edition. The problem says to show that E must exceed the minimum value of V(x) for all normalizable solutions to the Schroed. eq. Naturally I started with the normalization condition: int(|phi|^2)=1 and started taking derivatives on this. However, I cannot arrive at a contradiction. Any thoughts? Or any other ways to show the same result? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi, emob2p.

I think I would start from the time independent schroedinger equation, [tex]H\phi=E\phi[/tex], where H is the Hamiltonian, [tex]\phi[/tex] the wavefunction. Normally, H=p^2/(2m)+V(x), where p is the momentum operator. First multiply both sides with [tex]\phi^{*}[/tex], then note that p is hermitian (and the [tex]\phi^{*}p^{2}\phi[/tex] term can be made into the square of modulus of a function), and then compare both sides. You may arrive at a contradiction if E is smaller than the minimum of V.

Last edited:
Here's my reasoning. Solve for ψ'' as Griffiths suggests. Now notice that if E<V, then ψ>0 and ψ''>0, or ψ<0 and ψ''<0. From calculus recall that if the second derivative is positive, then you have a local minimum. Therefore as x→∞ so does ψ→∞. In order to be normalizable, ψ must go to 0. So V must be greater than E so that ψ'' and ψ have different signs.

1. How do you prove that E must exceed the minimum potential?

To prove that E must exceed the minimum potential, you can use mathematical equations and principles such as the definition of potential, the work-energy theorem, and the principle of conservation of energy. These principles can help you show that the energy E must be greater than the minimum potential in a given system.

2. What is the significance of proving that E must exceed the minimum potential?

Proving that E must exceed the minimum potential is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a system and predict its future states. It also allows us to determine the minimum amount of energy required for a system to function properly or reach a certain state.

3. Can you provide an example of a system where E must exceed the minimum potential?

One example is a simple pendulum system. In this system, the minimum potential is at the lowest point of the pendulum's swing, where the kinetic energy is at its maximum. To keep the pendulum in motion, the energy E must exceed the minimum potential at the lowest point in order to overcome any friction or air resistance.

4. What are some common misconceptions about proving that E must exceed the minimum potential?

One common misconception is that the minimum potential is always zero. In reality, the minimum potential can vary depending on the system and its initial conditions. Another misconception is that the energy E must always be equal to the minimum potential. In some cases, the energy may need to exceed the minimum potential in order for the system to function properly.

5. How does proving that E must exceed the minimum potential relate to real-world applications?

Proving that E must exceed the minimum potential is crucial in many real-world applications, such as designing efficient machines and structures, understanding the behavior of natural systems, and predicting the outcome of physical processes. It also plays a key role in fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry.