Finding frequencies given AC voltage samples

In summary, the conversation discusses a C assignment involving 20 files containing AC voltage test samples taken at 1 ms intervals. The task is to find three different frequencies within the files. The suggested method is to count the number of 0's in the samples and divide by three, then calculate the frequency using the total number of waves and samples. The speaker also mentions their ability to write code and requests confirmation that they are on the right track. They are unable to upload the files due to size limitations. It is noted that there are 1000 samples per second in the given data.
sekhar4

Homework Statement

Hey. I am new here.
Recently i got a C assignment (computing) in which i was given around 20 files..each with thousands of AC voltage test samples sampled at 1 ms..so technically 100 samples= 1 second.
I was told that there 3 different kinds of frequencies in the files and that i have to find them.

Homework Equations

freq=1/timeperiod

The Attempt at a Solution

I went through the samples and realized that if I count the no: of 0's ( 0.00045 or 0.0002) etc and divide the total no: by three, I should be getting the no: waves ..
now freq=(total no:eek:f waves x 100 ) / total no: of samples .

i just want to know if I am doing it right ..please tell me..
I can write codes no problem ..but I want to know if I am heading in the right direction.
PS- can't upload even one of the .txt files as they are around 127 kb each and the forum only allows 100 kb ... sad

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have test samples sampled every 1ms (1x10^-3s) then you have 1000 samples per second.

Can you post an example of the numbers which represent one sample?

1. What is the process for finding frequencies given AC voltage samples?

The process involves first converting the AC voltage samples into the frequency domain using a mathematical tool called the Fourier transform. This will give a representation of the signal in terms of its frequency components. The frequencies can then be extracted from this representation.

2. Can we find all frequencies present in the AC voltage using this method?

Yes, the Fourier transform allows us to accurately determine all the frequencies present in the AC voltage signal. However, the accuracy of the results may be limited by factors such as noise and sampling rate.

3. How many samples of the AC voltage signal do we need to find the frequencies?

In general, the more samples we have, the more accurate the frequency analysis will be. However, the minimum number of samples required depends on the frequency range of the signal and the desired resolution. The Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem states that the sampling rate must be at least twice the highest frequency component present in the signal.

4. Are there any limitations to this method?

One limitation is that the frequencies can only be determined for periodic signals. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by noise, sampling rate, and the presence of harmonics in the signal.

5. Is there any software or tools available to help with finding frequencies given AC voltage samples?

Yes, there are various software and tools available that utilize the Fourier transform to analyze AC voltage signals and determine the frequencies present. Some popular examples include MATLAB, Python's SciPy library, and online calculators such as the Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) tool.