Exploring the Possibility of a Beyond Universe

• Thread starter RandyDisher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of there being other universes beyond the boundaries of our observable universe. It is suggested that if these other universes have an effect on our observable universe, they are considered part of our universe. However, it is also proposed that there could be distant parts of a larger universe that have no effect on our observable universe and could be considered separate universes.
RandyDisher
Hey,

I was just thinking and wondering if beyond the boundaries of our universe, (if there were boundaries) if it was at all possible that it was an infinite loop of black space with no dimensions but beyond that boundary that there is another universe that we could not reach, hence the infinite loop.

Answers? Comments?

Thanks!

Space news on Phys.org
RandyDisher said:
I was just thinking and wondering if beyond the boundaries of our universe, (if there were boundaries) if it was at all possible that it was an infinite loop of black space with no dimensions but beyond that boundary that there is another universe that we could not reach, hence the infinite loop.

It's possible, however there are limits to what we know, and it's easy to imagine different things outside our observable boundaries.

The hard part is to come up with good arguments that something *isn't* possible.

If it has an effect on the observable universe, it is part of our universe by definition. If not, it is irrelevant. Do you have an effect in mind?

Chronos said:
If it has an effect on the observable universe, it is part of our universe by definition.

If you define the universe as everything that has an impact on what can be observed, then by definition there are no other universes since any other universes would be part of our universe.

But I think the question defines "universe" as "directly observable universe".

If not, it is irrelevant. Do you have an effect in mind?

I was thinking about pre-inflationary fluctuations that have some impact on the CMB. If you had "empty regions of space outside the observable universe, then this could leave traces in the CMB background without being observable.

I think that it is possible to imagine parts of Penrose's large universe that are so far away from our observable universe that they have no effect whatsoever. These distant parts could be considered separate universes?

In fact I recently proposed in my first ever post here that these distant parts could be so far away as they could have been created at different times to our observable universe and still not have an effect on the CMBR smoothness.

1. What is the Beyond Universe?

The Beyond Universe is a hypothetical concept that refers to the possibility of there being other universes beyond our own. It is a popular topic in theoretical physics and cosmology, but there is currently no scientific evidence to support its existence.

2. How can we explore the possibility of a Beyond Universe?

At this point, exploring the possibility of a Beyond Universe is purely theoretical. Scientists use mathematical models and theories, such as string theory and multiverse theory, to explore the concept and its potential implications. However, there is no way to physically explore or observe a Beyond Universe at this time.

3. What are some theories about the Beyond Universe?

There are several theories about the Beyond Universe, including the multiverse theory, which suggests that there are infinite parallel universes, and the bubble universe theory, which proposes the existence of multiple universes each with their own unique laws of physics. Other theories include the cyclic universe model, where universes go through an endless cycle of expansion and contraction, and the brane cosmology theory, which suggests that our universe exists on a membrane in a higher-dimensional space.

4. How would the existence of a Beyond Universe affect our understanding of the universe?

If a Beyond Universe were to be proven, it would completely change our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It would challenge our current theories and force us to rethink the laws of physics and our understanding of space and time. It could also have implications for the existence of intelligent life in other universes and the potential for inter-universal travel.

5. Is there any evidence to support the existence of a Beyond Universe?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of a Beyond Universe. However, some theories, such as string theory, have gained some support from the scientific community and are actively being researched. Until there is concrete evidence, the idea of a Beyond Universe remains purely speculative and theoretical.