The Nature of Gases, Heating Gases

In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of energy when gas is heated. Some argue that all of the absorbed energy is converted into kinetic energy, while others state that some is also converted into potential energy. It is clarified that potential energy is not present in monoatomic gases due to their limited degrees of freedom.
tigerwoods99

Homework Statement

What happens when gas is heated?

Is all of the absorbed energy converted to kinetic energy?
or is some of the absorbed energy converted into potential and some into kinetic energy?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher said the correct answer is that some of the absorbed energy is converted into potential energy, and some of the energy is converted into kinetic energy. However, I think that all of the energy is converted into kinetic energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
so it adds potential energy as well?

Yes it does

I wonder if the question is clear. I don't see potential energy in heated helium (at least before it gets hot enough to excite to substantial degree), I see potential energy in heated ammonia (vibrations).

Yes you are right. Potential energy is not there in monoatomic gases (ideal) as there are only 3 degrees of freedom which are for its translational motion. I forgot about that.

What is the nature of gases?

The nature of gases refers to their physical properties and behavior. Gases are composed of molecules that are in constant, random motion and have no definite shape or volume. They exert pressure on their surroundings, can be compressed, and have low density compared to liquids and solids.

How does heating affect gases?

Heating gases causes the molecules to move faster and increase in temperature. This leads to an increase in the volume of the gas, as the molecules spread out to occupy more space. Heating also increases the pressure of the gas, as the faster-moving molecules collide with the walls of their container more frequently.

What is Boyle's Law and how does it relate to gases?

Boyle's Law states that at a constant temperature, the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume. This means that as the volume of a gas decreases, its pressure increases and vice versa. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior of gases, especially in applications such as gas compression and storage.

What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of a gas. It is defined as PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin. This law is used to predict the behavior of gases under different conditions.

How does the kinetic molecular theory explain the nature of gases?

The kinetic molecular theory states that gases are composed of tiny particles in constant motion. These particles have negligible volume and do not interact with each other except through collisions. The theory helps to explain the properties of gases, such as their ability to expand, flow, and exert pressure, based on the behavior of their molecules.