What is the function of D1 in this circuit?

• Thread starter dnyberg2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, the circuit is a power switch for a sensor. When S1 is closed, power is removed from RL. D1 is the purpose of the diode, and it may bias the base of the transistor up by .7 volts. The failure mode of a BJT is if the base is over driven, and can be caused by a diode. R1 and R4 rule how much current can get to the sensor even if shorted, while R2 protects the BE junction.
dnyberg2
The attached circuit is not my design but I need to understand it completely.
This is a circuit that supplies power to a sensor.
When S1 is closed the power is removed from RL.
What is the purpose of D1?
In General, what happens if R1 were to short?
I know the base would be subjected to the max avail current of about 1 mA,
but would that ruin the BJT in this config or could it lead to the death of the BJT eventually?
In general, what is the failure mode of a BJT if the base is over driven?
Can one expect the collector & emitter to eventually short?
In this case Q1 is just a switch either in or not in saturation right?
So R4 and R2 rule how much current can get to the sensor even if shorted or does R1 play in that role? In my mind there is no voltage divider on the base so the base gets the full supply voltage. The CE junction is either full on or full off and delivery of current is subject to the datasheet limits of the BJT yes?
Thanks in advanced.

Attachments

• CKT001.jpg
    CKT001.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 534
Engineering news on Phys.org
As a SWAG, I think the diode may cause the base of the transistor to be biased up by one diode drop (~.7v) above the emitter voltage... The transistor will not conduct until the base is _more_ than a diode drop above the emitter so this could lower the threshold where the circuit switches on.

What the whole circuit does, and why, is a little mysterious to me though...

schip666! said:
As a SWAG, I think the diode may cause the base of the transistor to be biased up by one diode drop (~.7v) above the emitter voltage... The transistor will not conduct until the base is _more_ than a diode drop above the emitter so this could lower the threshold where the circuit switches on.

Thanks for the insight! Sound feasible to me! This tiny CKT is nothing more than a PWR switch for a sensor. All it does it turn a sensor on and off / supply current or not. Thanks again. i hope someone else knows more about the other questions on failure...

schip666! said:

Although, now that I think about it some more, that's a Schottky diode with .325 forward voltage drop...

dnyberg2 said:
The attached circuit is not my design but I need to understand it completely.
This is a circuit that supplies power to a sensor.
When S1 is closed the power is removed from RL.
What is the purpose of D1?
In General, what happens if R1 were to short?
I know the base would be subjected to the max avail current of about 1 mA,
but would that ruin the BJT in this config or could it lead to the death of the BJT eventually?
In general, what is the failure mode of a BJT if the base is over driven?
Can one expect the collector & emitter to eventually short?
In this case Q1 is just a switch either in or not in saturation right?
So R4 and R2 rule how much current can get to the sensor even if shorted or does R1 play in that role? In my mind there is no voltage divider on the base so the base gets the full supply voltage. The CE junction is either full on or full off and delivery of current is subject to the datasheet limits of the BJT yes?
Thanks in advanced.

It looks like it protects the BE junction when the switch is closed. The reverse BE breakdown is not usually very high. Seems like a regular diode would be fine there too -- maybe they are using the Schottky for its speed and not its lower forward voltage drop?

berkeman said:
It looks like it protects the BE junction when the switch is closed. The reverse BE breakdown is not usually very high. Seems like a regular diode would be fine there too -- maybe they are using the Schottky for its speed and not its lower forward voltage drop?

That sounds reasonable...
Thank you for your input.

berkeman said:

Care to hazard a guess as to what might happen if the diode were to short?
This is an FMEA in case the crowd was not aware...

dnyberg2 said:

Then the transistor wouldn't work so great.

(FMEA = Failure Modes & Effects Analysis)

It is a protection diode. It is a schottky diode that prevent the reverse of the base to emitter voltage. It is common to put a diode like this to prevent damage to the transistor or circuits.

dnyberg2 said:

All these years, never seen one fail unless you have arcing of high voltage. Much more often failure because the protection diode is not there.

Look at the application circuits of the good old voltage regulator 7805 etc. They suggest a diode go from output back to input in case the input get shorted by other part of the circuits. The output filtering cap will hold +5V ( 7805) and immediately putting 5 volt from output to input. The diode is used to prevent the voltage at the output more than 0.7V higher than the input to prevent damage...And I never see people put in that diode and the regulator do fail because of that.

For circuits in the high voltage enviroment, I use TVS (transorbs) instead of the diode because they are faster.

When the switch S1 is opened, capacitor C1 charges through R2 and R4 thru Q1. When the switch closes, without the diode, C1 would discharge through R3 and RL (time constant about 1.6 seconds). With the diode, C1 (and the voltage across RL) would discharge through R2 and D1 about 100 times faster. This is probably the main reason for the diode.

Voltages and currents in Q1 are very low, and there does not appear to be any significant failure mode problem. The lowest Q1 voltage limit is the emitter base reverse voltage (about 5 volts). If R1 shorted, the base would be tied to the collector. This is called a transdiode connection, and has been used for emulating an ideal diode V-I curve. Because VCEsat is about 0.5 volts less than VBE, most the current will still flow through the collector. The base current is rated in excess of 5 mA (see Q1 datasheet).

Bob S

What does the diode do?

A diode is an electronic component that allows current to flow in only one direction. It acts as a one-way valve for electricity, allowing it to flow from the anode (positive side) to the cathode (negative side). This property is known as "rectifying" and is essential for many electronic circuits.

How does a diode work?

A diode is made up of two layers of semiconductor material, one with an excess of electrons (n-type) and one with a deficiency of electrons (p-type). When a voltage is applied in the forward direction, the excess electrons from the n-type material move towards the positive side and combine with the holes (deficiency of electrons) in the p-type material, creating a conductive path for electricity. However, when the voltage is applied in the reverse direction, the diode blocks the flow of current due to the depletion region between the two layers.

What are the common types of diodes?

The most common types of diodes are the standard diode, which is used for basic rectification purposes, the Zener diode, which is used for voltage regulation, and the light-emitting diode (LED), which emits light when current flows through it. Other types include Schottky diodes, varactor diodes, and tunnel diodes.

What are the applications of diodes?

Diodes have a wide range of applications in electronics, including power supplies, voltage regulators, signal demodulation, and switching circuits. They are also used in solar cells, laser diodes, and LED lights. In addition, diodes are essential components in electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and smartphones.

How do you test a diode?

To test a diode, you can use a multimeter in diode test mode. Connect the positive lead of the multimeter to the anode of the diode and the negative lead to the cathode. A good diode will show a small forward voltage drop, typically around 0.6-0.7 volts for silicon diodes. If the multimeter reads OL (open loop) or a high resistance value, the diode is likely faulty. You can also use a circuit or a diode tester to test a diode's functionality.