Help for Junior Project Design Class - Servo Motor & 555 Timer

In summary, the conversation discussed using a servo motor and a 555 timer as a variable speed controller for a robot project. One person was wondering how to get a negative signal from the timer, but it was explained that servos do not have a negative signal. Instead, the position is controlled through pulse width and a feedback circuit.
hc3
I'm building a robot for my junior project design class and I'm using a servo motor. I'm using a 555 timer as a variable speed controller. I was wondering how to get a negative signal from the timer. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Ummm, Servos don't have a negative signal, rather the position is maintained relative to the pulse width via the feedback circuit to the position sensor (which is usually a mechanical potentiometer). So you send out pulses at some regular cycle length, eg 50 Hz, and the width of the pulse controls the position -> so a narrow pulse is all the way to CCW and a wider pulse is all the way CW (for example). A 50% of the max pulse length will set it at half way between.

What is a servo motor?

A servo motor is a type of motor that is designed to rotate to a specific position and maintain that position, rather than continuously rotating like a regular motor. It is commonly used in robotics, remote control vehicles, and other electronic devices.

What is a 555 timer?

A 555 timer is an integrated circuit that is commonly used in electronic devices as a timer, oscillator, or pulse generator. It is often used in conjunction with other components to create various types of electronic circuits.

How does a servo motor work?

A servo motor works by receiving a control signal, typically from a microcontroller or other electronic device, which tells it what position to move to. The motor then uses a feedback mechanism, such as a potentiometer, to ensure that it maintains the desired position.

Can a servo motor be controlled with a 555 timer?

Yes, a servo motor can be controlled with a 555 timer. The timer can be used to generate the necessary control signal for the servo motor, either by using its built-in oscillation capabilities or by creating a pulse width modulation (PWM) signal.

What are some common applications for a servo motor and 555 timer?

A servo motor and 555 timer are commonly used together in projects that require precise control of movement, such as robotics, animatronics, and model airplanes. They are also often used in DIY electronics projects as a way to learn about basic circuit design and programming.