Recursive using strong induction and structural induction (rosen)

In summary, the author struggles to prove a recursive definition of a set using induction, and eventually turns to structural induction to help. The base step is assumed to be 0 <= 0, and the induction step is to prove that all elements after a certain number of steps satisfy a <= b. The first and second parts of the induction step are easy, and prove that a < b and a < 2b+1, respectively. The third part is more difficult, and proves that a < 2b+1 and a < 2b+2, respectively.
DrWillVKN

Homework Statement

Let S be subset of set of ordered pairs of integers defined recursively by:

i) (0,0)[tex]\in[/tex] S
ii) If (a,b) [tex]\in[/tex] S, then (a, b + 1) [tex]\in[/tex] S, (a+1, b + 1) [tex]\in[/tex] S,(a+2, b + 1) [tex]\in[/tex] S

a) List the elements produced by 4 applications of these steps
b) using strong induction on the number of applications of the recursive set to show a <= 2b whenever (a, b) [tex]\in[/tex] S
c) use structural induction for above

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my first time doing proofs, barring the previous chapter 4.1 i finished last week and did fine in. This is one of my problem sets for my test on Wednesday, and I still have a lot of trouble proving anything with a recursive definition.
a) The first couple of elements are (0,1), (1,1), (2,1), and the second couple of elements are just the previous three processed by the recursive step, and (not listing redundant pairs) are (0,2), (1,2), (2,2), (3,2) and (4,2). This repeats for 3 and 4, etc.

Now the proof part baffles me. Induction seemed like a very formulaic process. I know that strong induction is simply just weak induction with the requirement that all the elements between the base case and arbitrary element 'k' hold true.

The book's answer was a lot simpler and straightforward than my own. Base is just 0 <= 0. next, it assumed an inductive hypothesis for k... and "on the number of applications of the recursive set" confuses me. Because the previous element (a,b) was obtained using less applications of the recursive step, a <= 2b? I just don't get how this coincides with the definition of strong induction.

For structural induction, it also wanted to show that b + 1 holds. It added the elements from the first application to the recursive step to show this (which... is + 1 to the step?), so essentially, it tried to prove the new elements generated by the recursive step by using the recursive step itself?!?

(also, i may have a few more problems i need help with, but this is the only hard odd problem that was assigned that had answers so I'm asking this first. i don't want to spam the board with topics, so should i just use this thread instead?)

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect that what they are doing is a recursion on the number of "steps" it takes to go from (0, 0) to (a, b). As you say, after "0" steps we start with (0, 0)- a= 0, b= 0 and certainly [itex]0\le 2(0)[/itex].

Now, the "induction step". We assume that all (a, b) obtained after k steps satisfy [itex]a\le 0[/itex]. What do we get after k+1 steps?

Well, we get (a, b+1), (a+1, b+1), and (a+2, b+1). How do we prove the property we want holds for each of those?

For (a, b+1), we want to prove that [itex]a\le 2(b+1)= 2b+ 2[/itex]. Well, that's easy to show. 0< 2 so adding a to both sides of that a< a+ 2. But adding 2 to both sides of [itex]a\le 2b[/itex] we get [itex]a+2\le 2b+ 2[/itex]. From that, [itex]a\le 2b+ 2[/itex].

For (a+ 1 , b+ 1), we want to prove that [itex]a+ 1\le 2(b+ 1)[/itex] and for [itex](a+2, b+1)[/itex], we want to prove that [itex]a+ 2\le 2(b+ 1)[/itex]. I will leave those to you.

So k + 1 was proven using the inductive hypothesis a <= b, and its 'base' step? Then the second and third parts would follow the same procedure, with a < a + 1 <= a + 2 <= 2(b+1), and a < a + 2 <= a + 2 <= 2(b+1).

Only part I don't get is how strong and structural induction differ. And structural induction just seems like any kind of induction anyways, except that it uses the recursive step to prove the elements generated by that step.

What is recursive using strong induction?

Recursive using strong induction is a mathematical proof technique used to prove statements about recursively defined structures. It involves breaking down a complex structure into smaller parts and then using strong induction to prove the statement for each part. This helps to establish the truth of the statement for the entire structure.

What is structural induction?

Structural induction is a proof technique used to prove statements about recursively defined structures. It involves proving that a statement holds for a base case, and then proving that if the statement holds for each smaller part of the structure, it also holds for the entire structure. This helps to establish the truth of the statement for the entire structure.

How is strong induction different from regular induction?

In regular induction, we assume that a statement is true for a particular number or set of numbers, and then prove that it must also be true for the next number. In strong induction, we assume that the statement is true for all numbers up to a certain point, and then prove that it must also be true for the next number. This allows us to prove statements about recursively defined structures.

What are some advantages of using recursive using strong induction and structural induction?

One advantage of using recursive using strong induction and structural induction is that it allows us to prove statements about complex structures that are defined recursively. It also helps break down the proof into smaller, more manageable parts, making it easier to understand and verify. Additionally, these techniques can be applied to a wide range of mathematical problems, making them incredibly versatile.

What are some common applications of recursive using strong induction and structural induction?

Recursive using strong induction and structural induction are commonly used in computer science and mathematics to prove the correctness of algorithms, theorems, and other mathematical statements. They are also used in the study of formal languages, automata, and other areas of theoretical computer science.