Center of Gravity: Does It Have to be Inside Object?

• Thread starter macmac410
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the center of gravity is a point in an object where the weight is evenly distributed in all directions, also known as the center of mass. Every object has a center of gravity, which can be located anywhere within or outside the object. If the center of gravity is outside the object, it will be unstable and tend to topple over. The center of gravity can change if the distribution of weight within an object changes or if the object rotates or moves in space.
macmac410

Homework Statement

1.) Does the center of gravity of an object have to be within geometric confines of the object? Please explain, coz I'm really confuse.

2.)where is the center of gravity of a doughnut? Explain

Homework Equations

i don't know the relevant equations

but i can answer it logically, but I'm not sure about my answer. Please help!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The center of gravity is in the hole of the doughnut.

1. What is the center of gravity?

The center of gravity is a point in an object where the weight of the object is evenly distributed in all directions. It is also known as the center of mass.

2. Does every object have a center of gravity?

Yes, every object has a center of gravity. It is a fundamental property of all physical objects.

3. Does the center of gravity have to be inside the object?

No, the center of gravity does not necessarily have to be inside the object. It can be located anywhere within or outside the object, as long as the weight is evenly distributed around that point.

4. What happens if the center of gravity is outside the object?

If the center of gravity is outside the object, the object will be unstable and will tend to topple over. This is why objects with a low center of gravity, such as a wide-based pyramid, are more stable than objects with a high center of gravity, such as a tall narrow tower.

5. Can the center of gravity change?

Yes, the center of gravity can change if the distribution of weight within an object changes. For example, adding weight to one side of an object will shift the center of gravity towards that side. Additionally, the center of gravity can also change when an object rotates or moves in space.