Problem involving implicit differentiation over an ellipse

In summary, the problem involves finding the height of a lamppost, given an ellipse and a shadow-line intersecting at a specific point. The shadow-line is defined as a line tangential to the ellipse, and the height of the lamppost can be determined by finding the point where the shadow-line intersects the ellipse. This can be done by setting up a quadratic equation and solving for the height of the lamppost. There are multiple methods for solving this problem, including using implicit differentiation and completing the square.
hexag1

Homework Statement

So here's a question from my textbook 'Calculus: Concepts and Contexts' 2nd ed. by James Stewart. This is section 3.6 # 54

We have Cartesian coordinates set up with an ellipse at [tex] x^2 + 4y^2 = 5 [/tex]

To the right of the ellipse a lamppost (in 2D!) stands at x=3 with unknown height. The lamppost shines a light to the left over the ellipse. The ellipse then casts a shadow. The point at (-5,0) marks where the edge of the shadow crosses the x-axis. The shadow-line is a line tangential to the ellipse running from the lamplight to (-5,0). This is the only given value for the shadow-line. The shadow-line touches the ellipse on the top left quadrant.

The Question: how tall is the lamp?

Implicit differention with respect to x gives:

[tex] 2x + 8y*y' = 0 [/tex]

solving for [tex] y' [/tex] we have: [tex] y' = -x/4y [/tex]

Homework Equations

ellipse : [tex] x^2 + 4y^2 = 5 [/tex]

derivative of ellipse : [tex] 2x + 8y*y' = 0 [/tex]

shadow-line intercept at (-5,0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I find it difficult to see how to proceed. I can find expressions for various elements of the problem, but they all seem to be written in terms of each other with no way to find a number for the height of the lamp.
If I call the point where the shadow line (which is tangential to the ellipse) intercepts the ellipse (j,k) then I find that the height of the lamp is -2j/k

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hihexag1! welcome to pf! :smile:

one way is to call a general point on the ellipse x = 5cosθ, y= 2.5 sinθ :wink:

My solution would be to define the shadow line by:
y=(x+5) h / 8
where h is the height of the lamp.

Intersect with the ellipse and find out for which h it will have only 1 solution for x.

Would this yield an acceptable solution or do you have to use derivatives?

I like Serena said:
My solution would be to define the shadow line by:
y=(x+5) h / 8
where h is the height of the lamp.

Intersect with the ellipse and find out for which h it will have only 1 solution for x.

Would this yield an acceptable solution or do you have to use derivatives?

I don't HAVE to do derivatives, but the problem is taken from the section on implicit differention, so I assumed that was the way to go about it.

I have tried intersecting the line and the ellipse, but I can only find equations for the line where the slip and 'b' (of y=mx+b format) are written in terms of the intersecting points, which I am trying to find in the first place! I find an equation for the line, but any and all substitutions that I make to and from the ellipse, I end up going in circles with no way to get a hold of the coordinates of the intersection.
I can make an estimate of the intersection point, of course - its y-value is a bit less than
(5/4)^(1/2) <--sorry I'm having LaTex problems in chrome.

tiny-tim said:
hihexag1! welcome to pf! :smile:

one way is to call a general point on the ellipse x = 5cosθ, y= 2.5 sinθ :wink:

Right - so I could write the ellipse as a squashed circle. But how do I find Θ ??

first find the slope of the tangent at a general point θ, and use that to find the equation of the tangent :smile:

(alternatively, as you say, it's a squashed circle :biggrin:

so unsquash it by changing the coordinates, and then use simple trig!)

of course, I like Serena's :smile: method is also very simple, involving no calculus, and nothing more tricky than complete the square :wink:

hexag1 said:
I don't HAVE to do derivatives, but the problem is taken from the section on implicit differention, so I assumed that was the way to go about it.

I have tried intersecting the line and the ellipse, but I can only find equations for the line where the slip and 'b' (of y=mx+b format) are written in terms of the intersecting points, which I am trying to find in the first place! I find an equation for the line, but any and all substitutions that I make to and from the ellipse, I end up going in circles with no way to get a hold of the coordinates of the intersection.
I can make an estimate of the intersection point, of course - its y-value is a bit less than
(5/4)^(1/2) <--sorry I'm having LaTex problems in chrome.

If you substitute
y=(x+5) h / 8
into
x²+4y²=5

you'll get a quadratic equation of the form
ax²+bx+c=0

It has 1 solution if the discriminant is zero:
D=b²-4ac=0

Solve h from this equation.

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a method used to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly defined in terms of one variable. It involves using the chain rule and differentiating both sides of an equation with respect to the variable of interest.

2. How is implicit differentiation used in solving problems involving ellipses?

In problems involving ellipses, implicit differentiation is used to find the slope of the tangent line to a point on the ellipse. This is useful in finding the equation of the tangent line, determining the maximum and minimum points on the ellipse, and solving related optimization problems.

3. What is the equation of an ellipse?

The equation of an ellipse is (x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2 = 1, where a and b are the lengths of the major and minor axes, respectively. This equation represents all the points on the ellipse with a given center and radii.

4. Can implicit differentiation be used to find the equation of the normal line to an ellipse?

Yes, implicit differentiation can also be used to find the equation of the normal line to a point on the ellipse. This involves finding the negative reciprocal of the slope of the tangent line and using the point-slope form of a line.

5. Are there any other applications of implicit differentiation in relation to ellipses?

Yes, implicit differentiation can also be used in finding the curvature of an ellipse at a given point. This involves using the second derivative and plugging in the coordinates of the point into the formula for curvature.